Harddisk question

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikitaha

Baseband Member
Is there any way to know the max size that ur com can recognise and any other way to may ur com recognise a bigger harddisk other than updating BIOS?? thanks alot in advance

Older systems can only recongize up to 137 Gigabytes, newer systems can recongize up to 144 PetaBytes..

Much Older Systems, using LBA mode can only recongize drives 10GB or smaller.

And the size gets smaller as you go back through the years.

If you have an older BIOS and don't want to flash it, I think you can buy a controler card that will allow it to see bigger drives.

CAn u tell me more abt it?? i've a P4 2.0ghz CPU,Window Xp Pro SP2... it's almost 3-4 years old... i need it to recognise at least 200gb?? can u tell me more abt the controller card and how much does it cost.. thanks for the replies..really appreciate the help :)

Thanks alot but is there anyway or any program to check whether ur com can recognise harddisk?

Guys I gave you some wrong information
so here I am correcting it.

Windows XP can only see Partitions Up to 137GB, until you upgrade to service pack 2 or later.

Newer BIOS can detect and read up to 144 PetaBytes.

LBA mode is used with drivers larger then 504 MB

Older BIOS used ECHS mode, used with drives from 504 MB - 8.4 GB.

tikitaha - I'm using Win2000 Pro Sp 4 and and I had to make an additional entry to the registry per Microsoft's instructions in order for Windows to see my 250GB drives.

Here is the article for Win XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q303013

From my understanding the XP SP1 or Win2000 sp3 or greater "allows" for 48bit lba support, but does not actually enable it. Only after i made the registry change did win2000 see my drives.

I'm not as familiar with XP though so Ste or someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom