Hard Drives - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2003, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Hard Drives

This may just be a flight of fancy on my part but does a program exist that can detect bad sectors on a hard drive and then quarantine them so that a) files currently on them are moved to undamaged sectors, and b) no files are written to them in the future?

Old 10-03-2003, 02:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yeah i would agree with that. if you are getting unusually high amount of bad sectors or bad sectors keep appearing that is probably a sign of emminent hard disk failure.

Old 10-03-2003, 02:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Lightbulb HDD Regenerator

I have been recently reading about HDD regenerator. I tried a trial version and it repaired one of the bad sectors, but that is where the trial version ends. It is a relatively cheap program to buy, but I work in a non-profit organization so I have to justify every single penny that is spent. Whilst this program sounds like a good idea I am a little concerned that after purchasing the full version it will be unable to repair all the bad sectors, therefore proving to be a waste of money. If anyone has experience in using this or any other program? I have about 40 desktops that are about 4 years old and whilst not concerned about salvaging the data, I don't have the budget to replace the HDD
Old 11-14-2003, 06:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Just a shot in the dark. If you do a windows scandisk with the thorough option selected, I believe it will do what you are asking. I may be wrong and apologize if I am, but it wouldn't hurt to try. That is, if you are using a windows system...
Closed Thread