Hard Drive, Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDerek

Beta member
I'm running a Dell Demension 8200 and i have a 120 gig hard drive. My problem is I need to install another hard drive (60 gig) on windows xp. the new one already has stuff on it so i can't format it, but how do i make windows assign it a drive letter and let me access it. windows already detects it but i don't know how to access it, please help me.

TheDerek.......

I have a questions.....

1. Is the new hard drive partitioned and formated???

If not, there in lies your problem. Windows Xp will automatically assign the drive a letter as long as it is accessible.

There are several utilities that can be used to to do both. The most popular are Fdisk and Partition Magic . Acquire these titles and can try them.....

Becareful.....do not do anything to your C:

If you have acquired the suggested software and need help come back here and ask ok..

I'm out for now.

Nastrodamus
At your service.

If it was done correctly windows xp would automatically find it and make each formated partition into a seperate drive letter.

it was because ive use and saved very important files on it, then installed it into a different machine and now it doesn't work

Make sure you have the drive jumper settings set correctly. If the windows xp drive is set as primary master you would want the second one set as secondary master

Alright, hang on, by secondary master you mean master also or slave, because its currently set on slave for the new one, master for the old one. sorry to be such a pest with this issue its just i really need this to work.

Also check the disk management panel under computer management to see if there is anything substantial under there.

May or may not be relevant, but something to check if all else is set correctly.

Also check that your cable isnt turned around backwards I know this soumds dumb but ive seen it happen. normally the side of the cable with the stripe is facing the side toward the power plug.unless it can only go one way then that wont be a problem.

yeah, i've done both of those i can see it in disk managemant i just don't see it in My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom