hard drive wackiness

Status
Not open for further replies.

blabbaboo

Beta member
I recently had my maxtor 250 G drive stop booting, it got to "updating dmi pool", then nothing. No virus, I replaced all pci cards, ide drives, ram, power supply, even tried a new motherboard! Still nothing. Plugged in an older drive that was on the pc before the 250, it didn't work either. I got a different drive to work, installed the 250 as a slave, and the 250 was reported as "drive not formatted". After exhausting all other possibilities, I re-formatted the 250, installed XP, and started using it again. Within a few days, I booted up and the pc got to the XP screen, then the system rebooted, and continued to reboot at the same place. I can understand the drive being defective, but it ran for 3 months without a problem, and the old drive that was perfectly fine before halted at the "dmi pool" message as well. That's why I suspected the 250 was ok, and replaced everything else. The old drive also reports as not formatted when set up as slave. The one drive I use now works beautiful, same system, no problems. Any ideas would be appreciated, there's no way 2 drives went bad at the same time with the same symptoms, and the rest of the pc is fine. I even tried w2k as an OS, same result.

pc : AMD x86 1700 cpu
m810lr mboard
512 Mb ram
300 W power supply

Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom