Hard drive Troubleshooting - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Hard drive Troubleshooting

I have a Seagate 120 GB ATA harddrive that is only 6 months old. Recently, I have been running into alot of problems with the drive. The following happens:

+ Harddrive makes a single beeping noise
+ immediately following the beep, there is a small clicking noise made by the hard drive.
+ computer freezes for one to four seconds

Seagate has Diagnostic and Utility tools to test whether or not a harddrive is going bad or not.

I tested my harddrive using Seagate's online diagnostic software, "Seatools" (Seagate's exclusive disc drive diagnostic software designed to troubleshoot most hard drive issues.

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

After running the test, Seagate told me that the harddrive is bad and, since its in warranty, I am able to send it back to them for a new one.

How accurate is this diagnostics test?

I want to know the accuracy of the test before archiving all of my old data and reinstall windows and the whole works.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

Exclamation

My experience with Seagates tools has always been true to the tools word. I'd say from what you have described, and by what the tools claimed, you need to back that data up ASAP!

It is nice that Seagate has a very easy to use warranty service, and they stand behind thier products for 5 years now.

Old 01-04-2005, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Hard drive Troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally posted by KornNut
I have a Seagate 120 GB ATA harddrive that is only 6 months old. Recently, I have been running into alot of problems with the drive. The following happens:

+ Harddrive makes a single beeping noise
+ immediately following the beep, there is a small clicking noise made by the hard drive.
+ computer freezes for one to four seconds

Seagate has Diagnostic and Utility tools to test whether or not a harddrive is going bad or not.

I tested my harddrive using Seagate's online diagnostic software, "Seatools" (Seagate's exclusive disc drive diagnostic software designed to troubleshoot most hard drive issues.

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

After running the test, Seagate told me that the harddrive is bad and, since its in warranty, I am able to send it back to them for a new one.

How accurate is this diagnostics test?

I want to know the accuracy of the test before archiving all of my old data and reinstall windows and the whole works.
People on this forum say the seagate is a great hard drive. but I see a few store that sells refurbished seagate hard drives. that tells me that a lot of them fail
Closed Thread