Hard drive Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

KornNut

In Runtime
I have a Seagate 120 GB ATA harddrive that is only 6 months old. Recently, I have been running into alot of problems with the drive. The following happens:

+ Harddrive makes a single beeping noise
+ immediately following the beep, there is a small clicking noise made by the hard drive.
+ computer freezes for one to four seconds

Seagate has Diagnostic and Utility tools to test whether or not a harddrive is going bad or not.

I tested my harddrive using Seagate's online diagnostic software, "Seatools" (Seagate's exclusive disc drive diagnostic software designed to troubleshoot most hard drive issues.

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

After running the test, Seagate told me that the harddrive is bad and, since its in warranty, I am able to send it back to them for a new one.

How accurate is this diagnostics test?

I want to know the accuracy of the test before archiving all of my old data and reinstall windows and the whole works.

My experience with Seagates tools has always been true to the tools word. I'd say from what you have described, and by what the tools claimed, you need to back that data up ASAP!

It is nice that Seagate has a very easy to use warranty service, and they stand behind thier products for 5 years now.

KornNut said:
I have a Seagate 120 GB ATA harddrive that is only 6 months old. Recently, I have been running into alot of problems with the drive. The following happens:

+ Harddrive makes a single beeping noise
+ immediately following the beep, there is a small clicking noise made by the hard drive.
+ computer freezes for one to four seconds

Seagate has Diagnostic and Utility tools to test whether or not a harddrive is going bad or not.

I tested my harddrive using Seagate's online diagnostic software, "Seatools" (Seagate's exclusive disc drive diagnostic software designed to troubleshoot most hard drive issues.

http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/

After running the test, Seagate told me that the harddrive is bad and, since its in warranty, I am able to send it back to them for a new one.

How accurate is this diagnostics test?

I want to know the accuracy of the test before archiving all of my old data and reinstall windows and the whole works.

People on this forum say the seagate is a great hard drive. but I see a few store that sells refurbished seagate hard drives. that tells me that a lot of them fail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom