Hard drive space (after partition) ??? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to j4mes_bond25
Question Hard drive space (after partition) ???

After managing to format the hard-drive & then installing Windows XP Professional quite successfully, I wonder that BEFORE all this set-up, my cousin had partition on her hard-drive:

C: 8 GB
H (software): 2 GB
G (music): 12 GB
L (songs): 10 GB

or something along these figures. When we deleted all the other partition, I remember there was a mention of around 38,000 Mb of space i.e. 38 GB. Earlier, I had a feeling that hard-drive is ONLY 8 GB (when simply checking the C but at this stage, I realised that the actual hard-drive was around 38 GB splitted into different partition.

After the XP installed successfully, we went to "My Computer" & could see C: drive, A: drive, G: drive for DVD Rom & H: drive for CD Writer. When clicked on C: & properties, we could ONLY see 8 GB of total space, out of which 1.5 GB was taken, due to Windows XP installed & remaining was free space.

This means that we still have the SAME sized i.e. 8 GB hard-drive as before, EVEN AFTER deleting the partion (whereby each partition had its own allocated space, as mentioned above). Wonder why is it only 8 GB space on C: as opposed to around 38 GB ??? Shouldn't it be 38 GB of total space on C: drive ???

Old 01-02-2006, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

what do you see in diskmgmt.msc?

Old 01-02-2006, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Exclamation Warez Monster !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
what do you see in diskmgmt.msc?
Sorry but would you mind expand on that for me, please ???
Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheGr8schlotzky

Google has the answers to everything..
3.4 (OC\'d) P4 w/HT [3.0E]
160GB WD
600W Aspire PSU
17in LCD
Old 01-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Warez Monster !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by j4mes_bond25
Sorry but would you mind expand on that for me, please ???
go to START>RUN>type in diskmgmt.msc>press ENTER

that'll tell you the total capacity of your hard drive where it said Disk 0, assuming you only have 1 hard drive

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz || 4GB OCZ 1066 DDR2 RAM || GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard ||
PNY XLR8 GTX 470 || Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM HDD RAID0 || Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Old 01-03-2006, 07:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: Re: Warez Monster !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by mike4realz
go to START>RUN>type in diskmgmt.msc>press ENTER

that'll tell you the total capacity of your hard drive where it said Disk 0, assuming you only have 1 hard drive
I'm rather certain of this ONLY hard-drive's space being around 38 GB, but can only see 8 GB on my C: now. In "My Computer" option, I can see A: (floppy disk drive), C: drive, G: drive (DVD-ROM drive) & H: (CD-RW drive).

My main purpose was to delete the partitions, re-format the hard-drive & then re-install the Windows XP Professional.

I'm told that when I DELETED all these partitions (which happens during Windows Boot & just BEFORE the Windows installation begins), I might NOT have allocated this deleted partition's space to the "primary partition" & hence the space of primary partition REMAINED SAME at it was earlier i.e. 8 GB (but the space of overall hard-drive is 38 GB). However, after deleting all the partitions, I remember NOT to have come across any option which asks me "if I wish to allocate these deleted partition's space to the primary drive".

Doesn't it happen automatically allocate the delete partition's space to the Primary Drive i.e. C: (the ONLY partition) cos I don't remember getting any option which specifically asks me for that.

Assuming that delete partition's space DOES NOT automatically get allocated to "primary partition" i.e. C:, any idea how do I go about allocating this space to the "primary partition" & give my C: the FULL space it has i.e. 38 GB.

Thanks for your help, in the mean time. As you can imagine, there's almost always plenty of cock-ups when things are done for the very first time.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz || 4GB OCZ 1066 DDR2 RAM || GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard ||
PNY XLR8 GTX 470 || Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM HDD RAID0 || Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Closed Thread