Hard Drive Slave Problem (2-120GB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudewithdalude

Solid State Member
I have a problem running my extra WD 120JB HD as a slave. It's on the same IDE slot as my master harddrive (which is the exact same HD). Here's the problem: If I plug up the power to the slave drive, and turn on the computer, it'll turn on for maybe 3 secs then turn off. So I unplug the power from the slave drive, and it'll just turn on fine. I've set the jumpers for the slave drive to run as a slave. I don't get what's going on. I've run hard drives as slaves on my computer before and it works fine, but now its just turning off. Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks!

What sive is your PSU? You may not have enough extra power to run the extra HD....give me your system specs.

lev2323 said:
What sive is your PSU? You may not have enough extra power to run the extra HD....give me your system specs.

AMD XP 2600
MSI Kt4 Ultra
768MB PC2700
Ati Radeon 9700 Pro
Audigy 2 Soundcard
WD120GB HD 8MB
400w Single Fan Power Supply
Samsung DVD & CDRW Combo
40x Cd-Rom
5 X Thermaltake case fans
Win XP OS

I was thinking it might be the power supply and it not having enough power to run it but i wasn't sure. The 400w power supply I have should be efficient to run the stuff I have right? Thanks.

i think 400 should be ok . . . that looks like a system that needs about 320 to me . . .

Well, it was the 400w PSU that wasn't sufficient, which kept turning the computer off....but now I have another small problem.....everything booted up fine and windows "detected the slave hard drive and said the device is ready" but when I go to "my computer" all I see is drive C: The slave drive isn't showing up (Drive F: ), but device manager says its working properly. More help please...thanks for the help so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom