Hard Drive Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesPaulGuy

Beta member
Hi guys,

I'm making a list of parts to build a computer to set up a home recording studio. I already picked out a 120GB SSD to put my applications and OS on, but I could use help picking out a secondary HDD.

I already have an external HDD that is 1 TB, so that's why I'm shopping for a 500GB HDD.

Can you please help me to determine the difference of these two hard drives?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...36-795^22-136-795-TS,22-136-697^22-136-697-TS

If I understand this correctly, the one on the left is SATA III and the right is SATA II.

So which is better?
SATA III 6.0Gb/s with 32mb cache
SATA II 3.0Gb/s with 64mb cache

I think I read somewhere that SATA III will work better with SSD, I'm not sure though.

Since I am going to use this HDD for primarily storage anyways, does it really matter what specs it has?

Thanks!!

- LesPaulGuy

Well since I am for sure getting a SSD, should I get the SATA III then?

My applications on the SSD will be writing data to the HDD, so if it's SATA III connection, would it be beneficial then?

Hi guys, ... to set up a home recording studio. ... could use help picking out a secondary HDD.

I already have an external HDD that is 1 TB, so that's why I'm shopping for a 500GB HDD.

Can you please help me to determine the difference of these two hard drives? If I understand this correctly, the one on the left is SATA III and the right is SATA II.

So which is better? SATA III 6.0Gb/s with 32mb cache or SATA II 3.0Gb/s with 64mb cache

I think I read somewhere that SATA III will work better with SSD, I'm not sure though. Since I am going to use this HDD for primarily storage anyways, does it really matter what specs it has? Thanks!!

- LesPaulGuy
Will you be recording audio or video, if audio do you really need a new drive (today), if video I would recommend another 1TB Drive for the extra $40.

The Drive on the right is a 3Gb/s RE4 Drive, not what you need (to pay extra for).

> does it really matter what specs it has?
For video, yes. You don't want studdering or slow access.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom