Hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

static244

Solid State Member
I'm building my dad a new computer. His current comp is about 7 years old and I was practicly begging him to let me build him a new one. Anyway, I'm putting an SATA hard drive in his new one, but he wants some info from his old computer on the new one (of course). His old comp has an IDE hd.

So my question is, is it possible to put in the new SATA hd as the master and the old IDE as a slave just copy stuff from one to the other? Would there be any issues with having his old OS on the slave drive, or would having an OS on the master just bypass the OS on the slave?

Thanks,
static244

build the new one and then transfer stuff over the network to the new one. if you don't have a hub use a crossover cable (google it for a diagram, easiliy done from any network cable) as for the method you suggested it should work, you wouldn't have any problems with 2 os's if one is set to master and one to slave. the master will boot and you can see the files of the other hd on "My Computer" only thing is if its 7 years old im not sure how much ide has changed over the years of how faster its gotten but it can't hurt to try. if anything it will just not recognize it.

i dont think you will run into any problems putting both HDD's into the same computer and then just transfering the files over via cut/paist

i put an old 2gb HDD from 1991 into my computer and it recognized it fine.

he is only putting a new SATA hard drive, not building a new computer

you can't just copy the files over, there is also the registry data and such.
I would actually suggest putting the IDE as master, and using the SATA drive as extra storage
or you could ghost the old hard drive using Norton Ghost (the only Symantec product I'd recommend) and 'restore' it to the new SATA hard drive. although it might be difficult, because it needs SATA drivers

I would actually suggest putting the IDE as master, and using the SATA drive as extra storage
or you could ghost the old hard drive using Norton Ghost (the only Symantec product I'd recommend) and 'restore' it to the new SATA hard drive. although it might be difficult, because it needs SATA drivers

No, thats not what he's doing.. you read it wrong.

apokalipse said:

I suggect you use the Ghost 7.0 or 6.0 (support NTFS!!)
Because i try to use the 8.0 before , it doesn't work completely
for restore job.
:mad:

OMG, now that I read again.... how could I miss that?
I read "I'm putting an SATA hard drive in" and the last paragraph

if you have 2 bootable hard drives, it depends on the boot order

Yeah you have to set the SATA to boot order and your fine.

Don't expect to use the operating system off the IDE drive, windows will become fubar'ed in the new computer.

Thanks for the replies!

I am actually building an new comp for my dad. Once I get the files from his old computer onto the new one, the old one will pretty much be scrap.

static244

The cut and past scenario is the easiest. Just build the new puter and complete the installation of the OS. Power it down and insert the old IDE hd set to slave and the SATA drive to master. Copy all the files from the old IDE to the New. Power down. Pull to old IDE and sell it on Ebay. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom