Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laser

Baseband Member
I have a 120 gb hard drive that one day decided to show up as only having 31.4 gb's. I had taken the drive out and let a friend borrow it and when i got it back the problems started. It worked like normal a few times, but recently it has been the same old problem. I have tried a few things, like maxtor's powermax program and windows disk check, none of them come back with any problems. my bios is even recognizing it has only being 31.4 gb's. I had files on it, but now i can't access them, it is just a blank 31.4 gb's. If anyone could help me try to solve this problem i would appreciate it.

Hello.
What operating system is being run on it?
I had the same problem with the FAT32 file system.
When installing Windows XP on the hard drive using NTFS the original size was shown and allocated.

Does it only come up as 31.4 gigs, or is it actually only 31.4 gigs?

It may have been dropped while your friend was borrowing it.

And is your signature the system the harddrive is being run on?

I think he must have put the jumper (or at least A jumper) over the "limit drive size to 32GB" pins at the back
it shows as 31.4GB because all hard drive's actually turn out to be a little bit less than they have been marked to be
my 40GB drive is 37.2GB in Windows

apokalipse said:
I think he must have put the jumper (or at least A jumper) over the "limit drive size to 32GB" pins at the back
it shows as 31.4GB because all hard drive's actually turn out to be a little bit less than they have been marked to be
my 40GB drive is 37.2GB in Windows

Win only show your HDD got 37.2Gb because the 2.8Gb left already been allocated win files and driver.

Alright i messed around with the jumpers and still no luck. the info for my computer is not the same as the signature, i'm using a friends login. my computer is an 2600 xp, biostar motherboard, 768 mb ddr, a 10 gb maxtor, 120 gb western digital and the problem hard drive is a 120 gb maxtor diamond. the weird thing about the problem is that after i let my friend borrow it, it would work sporadically, which makes me think it wasnt dropped or damaged. I have no other ideas of what it could be. i've tried it on my raid card and on the mobo's ide's, but no luck either way. both the raid and mobo bios read it as only 31.4 too, so it's not just a windows problem. i have tried all jumper settings, and all different spots on the ide cable. i may end up calling maxtor and seeing what they can tell me, thanks though for everyone's ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom