hard drive problem! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewrockshard

Baseband Member
ok i got this western digital 160gb external hard drive. it is usb2/firewire compatible.

the hard drive installed correctly and it worked for about a month. then it started giving me the 'ol "Delayed Write Failed" error. so i read around and it was due to usb/firewire updates within windows. the problem is, i have winxp pro with sp2. everything i have looked into i have verified and doesnt help at all.

plus when it doesnt do anything and just sits there when i try to copy files to the hard drive it copys about 2 or 3 files and then stops and acts like its copying, and when i press cancel then computer freezes for about 45 seconds and filally catches up with everything, but refreshed explorer (windows, not iexplore.exe).

i even optimized the computers system cache instead of using the virtual memory...STILL HAVING PROBLEMS...although it did speed up my computer.

is there a fix for this problem? i have come not to care about the files; a have most of them backed up...so even if i have to reformat the dang thing...oh thats another thing...it wont let me reformat through windows (the explorer view, nor using computer managment mcc applet). i dont have a floppy disk drive, nor do i have one, so i cant reformat through fdisk or anything "floppy based". now i could boot from a CD, but would reformatting the drive work?

also the really weird thing is, i have two partitions on it, one is for my virtual pc installation/files/ISOs. the other one was for all my music. but thats not the weird thing; the weird part about it is taht the virtual pc partition worked superbly...GREAT...fast, reliable, could boot up several virtual pcs at once...PERFECTO! the other one, though (remember...same drive, just different partition) would freeze up the computer when accessed for severail seconds and sometimes minutes.

the drive would also freak out when i tried to turn it off (yea, i know, the windows removal thingy...i know; i do make sure i do, but it was to the point that that didnt matter, i was having soooo many problems that it wasnt that...somethings wrong with this partition..or something.

could someone help me out...im really sick of this.

again...my computer...
512ram - amd64 2.2ghz - winxp pro SP2 (if yo uneed anything else let me know)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom