Hard drive problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discusman

In Runtime
I have a Dell P4 2.66GHz with 644MB Ram, 120GB HD. The computer is about 2 years old and the Western Digit HD is about 1 year old. The HD has three parition in total. Recently the HD is making loud noise and today the HD gives me a high pitch beep sound. My computer freezes during and after the beep sound. I had to manually shut down the computer.

Could someone help me troubleshoot the problem? Thanks.

Discusman said:
I have a Dell P4 2.66GHz with 644MB Ram, 120GB HD. The computer is about 2 years old and the Western Digit HD is about 1 year old. The HD has three parition in total. Recently the HD is making loud noise and today the HD gives me a high pitch beep sound. My computer freezes during and after the beep sound. I had to manually shut down the computer.

Could someone help me troubleshoot the problem? Thanks.

http://www.howtorecoverdata.com/library/hard-drive-stiction.pdf

Sounds just like a damaged hard drive. They can make all kinds of noise, my last hard drive that died on my made clicking noises. I had another one that clicked, spined down and then spinded up and repeated the process, that one was a WD hard drive. If its still covered under warantee send it back, if not buy a new maxtor hard drive. I have had less problems with maxtor than any other drive.

The best HD Maker?

I thought Western Digit makes the best HD, am I wrong here?
So Maxtor is the best HD to get? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Re: The best HD Maker?

Discusman said:

I have never like WD. As far as I am concerned, IBM and Maxtor are both the top of the line. I haven't had my maxtor die on me yet, and its been about 5 years... However my grandparts had a WD for less than one year and it died. Fortunatly it was covered by HP's warantee (came with the system).

I have 5 WD HD`s and 1 has gone down .The 3 year warranty speaks for itself . My experience with Maxtor is 2 outa 3 gone down. IBM ive had 7 on older systems that are still working .
Havent tried any new IBM`s in the past 5 years .

I like Seagate drives better than WD or Maxtor
Seagate's are very good quality - don't know anyone who has had one die on them - they are not the most expensive HDD, and they rare the quietest >=7200RPM HDD's ever

Re: The best HD Maker?

Discusman said:

Man i've seen this kinda debate over and over on several forums.... and there's never one concensus. The fact is both WD and Maxtor make good drives. I've owned both of them and I like my WD 40 GB 7200 rpm Caviar Edition. It's super quiet and i've formatted that sucker like 20 times now. Still performs like a champ.

I bought a 200 GB Maxtor - 1 year and running. No problems.

Fact is that you will get one person who gets one bad experience with WD and immediately chalk it off as 'no-good'.... i've heard of bad experiences on both.

Either way, there's no fail-proof HDD.

Re: Re: The best HD Maker?

Lone Wolf said:
Man i've seen this kinda debate over and over on several forums.... and there's never one concensus. The fact is both WD and Maxtor make good drives. I've owned both of them and I like my WD 40 GB 7200 rpm Caviar Edition. It's super quiet and i've formatted that sucker like 20 times now. Still performs like a champ.

I bought a 200 GB Maxtor - 1 year and running. No problems.

Fact is that you will get one person who gets one bad experience with WD and immediately chalk it off as 'no-good'.... i've heard of bad experiences on both.

Either way, there's no fail-proof HDD.

I never just got one WD drive that went bad and hated them for life... I just seem to get a lot of systems that need their WD drives replaced thats all. I just have had good luck with maxtor, and I know IMB drives are very good. I have never had a computer with one of them fail.

It seems this is a very controversial topic. Well, my WD hd is still making noise, but no high pitch beep sound today. I guess over heating might cause the problem. Let's see how long is the WD going to last.

MicroBell said:
Ummm...not overheating. If you hear whines, clicks, rattels and the OS freezes for a second or two or the bios has some trouble detecting the drive on bootup....back up your data as this drive is about to fail. This a problem with the spindal and platter...as the heads try to write the data to the platters. It WILL fail at some point.

Does not matter how new/old the drive is...as I've had them fail right out of the box...brand new. If it's still under warranty (Ask Dell) have it replaced ASAP.

The HD doesn't come with my Dell, I bought it from Buy.com to replace the one that came with Dell. Well, I guess we don't have Warranty issue to talk about here.

Yeah, I'm going to replace the HD right away. Thanks for the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom