Hard Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloman02

In Runtime
I have an old Pentium II 350 Mhz with 128 Mb of 100 mhz sdram and a Seagate 6Gb hard drive.
RUNNING WINDOWS 98 SE

Award Modular Bios v4.51PG

I don't know the mother board as it was custon made and my parents threw out the book(figures).

My problem is that while the computer was on, the screen went blank and so my parents went to feel behind the computer, a burst of heat shot out(as well as smoke) from the PSU. when it finally cooled, i took it apart and saw the burned circuitry. we have another power supply(same form factor and wattage). now when i start up the computer i get this:
Detecting IDE Primary Slave ... ATAPI CDROM
Detecting IDE secondary master... none
Detecting IDE secondary slave ... none
Primary Master hard disk fail

I hit f1 to continue and i then get:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I put the disk in and i get the info on the cdrom driver and 2 pci bus scans. then i get:

A:\> REM [CD-ROM Drive]

A:\>
A:\> MSDEX.exe/D: OEMCD001/L:Z

MSCDXversion 2.25
Copyright Microsoft
Drive Z: Driver OEMCD001, UNIT 0

CDR101: Not ready reading drive Z
Abort, Retry, Fail

i rebooted and went to bios and changed the start up sequence to C, A, SCSI and i got the same A:\> stuff

i switched the IDE cable(which has the cdrom and hd connected to it) from the white ide connector to the black connector.
Detecting IDE Primary Slave ... None
Detecting IDE secondary master... none
Detecting IDE secondary slave ... CDROM
Detecting IDE Primary Master CHS, Mode 0, 6495MB

i get the disk boot failure thing, and the same A:\> stuff.

Could my HD really be scrambled/fried?

Oh BTW, it is getting power cause i saw a green led blinking, 1 long blink, then 6 short ones.

test with another hard disk with an operating system on it. it seems you hard disk is damaged, they are the first to go when PSU burns out. anything else could be fried too. without you finding out what is not working all we can do is guess at this point.

it seems your floppy drive still works though. don't rule out the possibility of a motherboard failure.....personally i would just get a new computer.

Updateing.

ekÆsine said:
test with another hard disk with an operating system on it. it seems you hard disk is damaged, they are the first to go when PSU burns out. anything else could be fried too. without you finding out what is not working all we can do is guess at this point.

it seems your floppy drive still works though. don't rule out the possibility of a motherboard failure.....personally i would just get a new computer.

I agree,P3's with much more are almost given away now.
So don't sweat it forget it.when and if you get an upgrade,try makeing that hd a Secondary master for backup.
If you can't afford it then i'll go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom