Hard drive prob

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheeOx

In Runtime
Hi again.
I have a crashed hard drive with tons of office info on it (no backups, as this was someone elses hd) and I need to know if there is any way to get this info from the hard drive.
Please advise

Thanks
Ox

About the only way to get the info off is to take it out and put it in another computer as a slave and see if you can access the info that way. Liz

Major,
Thats what Im doing right now as a first line of attack.
Does this work?
Also, can you advise me how to bypass the password on Outlook express?
Thanks
Ox

I posted this in another thread just yesterday:

This was posted on another forum by a professional technician:

Put the drive into an airtight bag, like a Ziploc bag, or wrap it TIGHTLY in plastic wrap or a garbage bag, THEN wrap the entire thing in a medium-size towel, and place it in your freezer for 20 minutes.

The idea is that you want to see if deep-cooling it QUICKLY will allow it to run one more time. You do NOT want to FREEZE it, because as it THAWS, you'll have condensation INSIDE the drive, and the water will probably cause many problems, so do NOT leave it in the freezer for more than 30 minutes at MOST.

I actually tried this trick with a friend; his drive died, and we could NOT get it to work, even after leaving it in the freezer for 30 minutes, BUT, he later told me that he DID have success doing the same thing while visiting family members who were having problems with their system.

If it works, you'll get one last BRIEF chance to retrieve some data; if it doesn't work, you'll be no worse off than you are right now.

And this was added by someone who actually tried it...

Because what you can do is freeze the drive, and when it starts acting up during data transfer, hit it with the freeze spray ( I've done this, and in most cases, I was able to retrive about 95% of the data, some cases was 100% )..

I hope it works. Let us know what happens. Liz

Took out hd from freezer, plugged it back in.
It came up wanting a bootable floppy, which I do not have.
It says that it has no boot info.
Now what>
Ox

if you have a second drive , use it and the one you froze , use it as a slave, you may find this to work till you get a new drive.
sounds like your boot sector took a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom