Hard Drive Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsupersonic

Solid State Member
I have an old compaq computer and I have few questions on mounting the hard drive.

This computer is so old it's not even a tower. So my hd i want to install is 3.5'' and I don't have any open 3.5'' bays, but I do have 5.25'' bay.

My question is do I have to mount the 3.5'' hd into the 5.25'' bay or can i just lay it on the 5.25'' bay without mounting it? It's not a tower, so the open bay would be at the bottom of the computer.

I guess you can do that but i wouldn't move the case around alot or the drive could be damaged or damage something else. They do sell things that allow you to mount a 3.25" drive in a 5.25" bay. I don't know exactly where you can find them but search around a little bit on the web and you'll find it.

I don't plan on moving the case. I thought the heat generated by the hd would be dangerous to the bottom of the case

thanks musjunk22, I am installing a 10,000 rpm drive and I thought it would make too much heat.

I had a 5400 rpm drive and I tried to unmount the drive and put the 10000 rpm hd there but I decided it was a bad idea since compaq put the hard drive over the power supply. I heard harddrives near power supply is not good for the life of the hard drive.

I would think you should mount it if it is a 10k rpm, it should have come with the mounts though. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I thought the 10k rpm produced a lot more heat. It wouldnt hurt the case but the hard drive is sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom