Hard Drive mix, IDE and Sata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fonix

Beta member
My motherboard supports both SATA and IDE hard drives and I was wondering how compatible one of each would be within the computer. I plan to have the IDE set as the slave.

if you need any more info I'll gladly post it.

I currently have 2 hard drives in my computer one is IDE it has the OS on it the other is SATA I put games on it so they load faster, should work fine.

Hello,

Your system will run just fine. Make sure that whatever drive you have XP installed on, IDE or SATA, is the main boot device or your system will not boot XP up.

Cheers,
Mak

set the IDE drive to a master. master/slave settings are only relevant to the IDE controller that the drive is on i.e each controller has a master and a slave. if there is only a single drive on an IDE controller it should be set to master.

thank you for the info also, after checking prices I was shocked to find 1.5gb/s cost more than 3.0gb/s drives, however, my mobo only supports 1.5gb/s... would a 3.0 gb/s drive work at 1.5gb/s if i were to buy it?

yes the drives are backwards and forwards compatible meaning a first gen SATA drive will work on a newer controller and a second gen SATA drive will work on an older controller. as of now there really isn't a difference in performance, SATA II drives just have some extra features that can be used with SATA II controllers.

SATAII drives (3.0Gbs) usually have jumpers on them to limit there ability's to that of a SATA (1.5Gbs) drives, and SATA is compatible with IDE devices, and forward compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom