Hard drive making funny noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifreak3

In Runtime
Help. My hard drive started making this weird buzzing sound whenever it is on. I opened my computer tower and listened to it while it was on to pinpoint where the noise was coming from, and it was indeed the hard drive. Does this mean it is probably going to fail soon? What should I do? Also, sometimes my computer will automatically shut the hard drive off and a blue screen will appear telling me that it was shut down to prevent system damage or something like that! Please help!

Can I just buy another hard drive and make it the slave to install windows on it and then copy all of my data to the new hard drive? Can I use the copy of windows that came with my computer (I have the service keys and everything!)?

I had a hard drive die on me, it started doing exactly what you're describing, only I had 98 and it just crashed without a blue screen when the HDD stopped
go out and get yourself a good Seagate or Western digital drive to replace it, and see how much you can recover from your current HDD before it fails completely
when you get your new HDD and put it in, unplug your current HDD and install Windows on your new HDD and then plug back in your other drive, and start moving your files over

So strangely the sound has stopped. I ran chkdsk.exe and it found a lot of errors but fixed them all. Do you still think I should buy a new hard drive? Since the sound stopped is it probably going to last for awhile?

fifreak3,

ha...gud!. Yes, Its always good to buy a second hard disk and back up data.
I dont think the peace is going to last inside your case :p

Sign
Codes:)

So I borrowed my freind's usb hard drive to backup all of my music, word documents, and pictures. But I still have a few questions:
What else do I need to backup that I might want to transfer to the new hard drive after I buy it?
Also, what kind of hard drive should I get, ATA, SATA, RAID?
Can I just use the Windows XP disc that came with my computer when I bought it brand new (July of 2003) and just redownload all the updates for windows etc?
Anything else that I should specifically know?
Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom