Hard drive interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

baifengz

Beta member
I've just recently started workin on laptops and I'm not too certain on a few things in case they're different than desktops so I figured I'd get it cleared up here.

The HD on one of my HP Pavillions crashed and I tried to replace it with another HD from another one of my HP Pavillions and the drive didn't fit. One Pavillion uses a hd which uses an ATA100 interface and it doesn't plug into my other HP Pavillion that uses an ATA-5 interface, which is the one I'm trying to replace (I looked up the interface specs in the manual).

Point is, are any of the interfaces backwards compatible? I'm trying to replace an IBM/Hitachi TravelStar 20GB 9.5mm 4200RPM ATA-5 laptop hard drive. I know about the speed differences between ATA-3,4,5,etc and between ATA66/100/etc, but how do you compare the two categories? Are they just subcategories of each other or what?

Checking around, I see that alot of people are saying that HDs should be backwards compatible but I can't seem to get it to fit, unless I'm just being stupid. The drive labeled ATA-5 has pins coming out of it and the one labeled ATA100 has like a female connector port...I don't know the term. So basically, what do I need to replace my ATA-5. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

are u saying your trying to replace your laptop HD with a HD from another laptop?

if so... u need to unscrew them from the enclosure and disconect them from the ATA port on the enclosures adapter. then just swap them, reconnect them to the adapter and screw them back in to the enclosure.

Unless things have changed recently, Laptop HD's are smaller than their Desktop counterparts. Therefore not interchangeable without a converter.

This link might help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom