Hard drive heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

aye29

Daemon Poster
How hot can a 7200rpm hard drive get? I've been considering getting a 3.5" external hard drive enclosure and I've read reviews about talking about the drive getting too hot inside the enclosure. Right now I'm looking at this enclosure: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-145-745&depa=0

I plan on keeping it on for long periods of time while downloading off Bittorrent. Should I be worried about excessive heat from extended use?

You should probably check out the internal hard drive coolers then. They mount in the 5.25" bays your hard drive goes inside and they also monitor your temp. They run about the same price and keep them internal if you would prefer that more. they are on newegg and i think frozencpu.com but they are too spensive on frozencpu.

I'm not talking about mounting a hard drive in a standard computer case. I want to put it in an enclosure so I can use an internal drive as an external drive. I'm concerned that if I put it in a 3.5" enclosure, there will be no ventilation. Should I be worried about a hard drive in an enclosure getting too hot?

No not in an external enclosure the heat will be fine. My friend has 2 external enclosures hard drives each with 160gb hard drives. also 3 other externals mind you these are almost all full of video from his production company. They dont overheat. you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom