Hard Drive File Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhys

Baseband Member
When a shop technician installs a new hard drive and removes a old hard drive will he/she be able to transfer the files from the old one to the new one even without XP installed?

Or do most shops install OS's for free?

It depends on the individual retailer weather or not they install the os for free, my guess is they dont. I know all the shops round here charge you for it. As for the file transfer from one hard drive to the next that shouldnt be to hard a good disk imaging program should do the job. Something like Power Quest or Norton Ghost theres loadz out there and im sure you will be able to find a free one somewheres;)

Hope it helps :)

as for your first question,..taking it as it is...yes,...as long as he has two partitions in the new hard drive(say c: and d:). and he transfers all files into either d: or c: and install OS on which ever unused partition

the new hard drive has to have two partitions. like having one HD separated into two....your HD is c:...if you have an extended partition...you'll have d: as well.

..so in other words...if you have an 80 gb HD..the c: partition will have 40gb and the d: partition will have the other 40gb.

if youre planning to install the OS on c:...you can transfer the files from the old HD to d: and install the OS later in c:

What is the point of dividing the new hard drive, (note: i've decided to get one hard drive and remove the old one). I was just wondering how it is possible to transfer files from the old one to the new 80GB one without XP installed or is it necesary to divide it?

OK Thanks alot.

So just ask them to move the files to the new hard drive and hope they dont charge me for the OS?

Cos i already have XP on cd but dont wanna give my expensive cd to them.

why not just do it yourself? it aint that hard, we could talk you through it, you just need to get the new HDD, set it as master, set the old HDD to slave, install the OS on the new HDD and copy your files

to set thte drive to master or slave, you take the HDD out of the computer, there will be 4 sets of jumpers on the back of the HDDS, there will be a diagram on the top that has 4 lines and 1 will say M that is master, one will say S that is slave, one will say CS and that is cable select, then the 4th is usually blank

OR

the top will tell you which jumper is the master (maxtor) it will say something like "jumper j50" then "master on" and "slave off" that means if you put the jumper on j50 it will be master and if you take it off it will be slave (it will be marked on the circut board on the bottom which jumper it is) most HDD will come setup as master, so it should be really easy, if you have any more questions just post em, but in genereal it is best to do all of your own computer repair (read best as cheapest and easiest to diagnose if you have a problem later)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom