Hard Drive Data Recovery - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2003, 11:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to rezurrectme
Default Hard Drive Data Recovery

I have an HDD question. In one of my computers, the hard drive recently failed, the system registry had some problems and the system wouldn't just boot. It is a 40GIG Maxtor 7200x partitioned into a C:\ with 10gig and D:\ with 30gig. I have tons of important data on the D:\ partition.

I tried using windows bootdisk to access the hard drive but I cannot access the C:, I can only access the D:. Now unfortunatley all my files are above 800MB so there is no question of using a zip drive. Is there any way I can recover my files?

Can I hookup this hdd into another working machine as a primary slave and access it's D: partition to copy the data?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Old 10-21-2003, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Lostman Send a message via AIM to Lostman Send a message via Yahoo to Lostman

If I got you right, D was just storage, and that is the drive you want to get the data off of right?

Reformat your C: and hook the D: back up as a slave. Then all the data will still be there.

Old 10-21-2003, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Default reformat C:

Yes, you got it right! D:\ is just for storage, no OS on it.

I tried reformatting the C: but it says drive damaged. Can I still try hooking the drive up and see if D:\ is accessible as a slave?
Old 10-21-2003, 03:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yes hook it up to another computer to copy your files. afterwards you should remake all your partitions and copy the data back. i think there is a fix MBR command that would fix your problem but i forgot the syntax.

if the computer you are hooking it up has winXP right click on "my computer", select manage>> storage>> disk management. you can then remake partitions. if win98/ME will be installed make sure you format using basic disk - type: primary/ extended FAT32 file system options.

or do it the boring way with a windows boot diskette
Old 10-21-2003, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

The command is FDISK /MBR. I keep linux on my system as a second OS just for data recovery because i'm always screwing up my windows.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

I tried plugging the hard drive in another system as primary slave, it makes noises while system restarts and then nothing happens, my primary master is detected but primary slave is not. I cannot access the hard drive using bootdisk either.

I guess I have to give up on the drive and send it for a replacement. Thankfully, the warranty is still on. However it sucked to know that they issue re-certified (not new) drives as replacement of defective drives like mine.

Thanks for your help anyways.
<html><body bgcolor=\"#EEF2F6\" text=\"#000000\" id=\"all\" leftmargin=\"0\" topmargin=\"0\" marginwidth=\"0\" marginheight=\"0\" rightmargin=\"0\" link=\"#000020\" vlink=\"#000020\" alink=\"#000020\">
<font face=tahoma, size=-1 color=903000>
<p align=justify>
ASUS A7N8X-X*AMD Athlon XP-2400+*512MB DDR PC3200 Memory*ATI Radeon 9200SE 128MB DDR*52X24X52 LG CD-RW*16X LG DVD-ROM*80GB WD 7200 / 8MB Cache*Onboard Realtek Sound*AOpen QF50C -Blue Beige*Yamaha YST-MS201 Speakers
*Samsung Syncmaster750s*Windows 2000 Professional (SP4)
Old 10-21-2003, 08:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

hdd is DEAD!

<font face=arial><h1>spfdz - NEVER FORGET</h1></font>
Closed Thread