Hard Drive Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

KUengi

Beta member
Hi I run a small studio out of my apartment and I had a hard drive crash on me. Here is what happend. I was unpluging speakers in and out of my sound card while the computer was on and one of the times i plugged speakers back into the card, it made an awful noise and smoke started coming out of my comp, obviously it shut down. After testing each piece of hardware that was in the comp, I came to the conclusion that anything hooked up to the power supply was fried, ie. dvd burner, hard drives, and MB. Everything that was not hooked up to the power supply was fine, ie sound card, vidio card. The thing is I really need the data on my storage drive that was in the comp when it fried, it has about 150 gigs of my music, and countless libraries of sounds. I've searched the internet for data recovery, but nothing seems to fit my problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Here is what i was running:
asus a7v8x-x
amd xp 2200
kingston pc2700 512mb
Windows XP Pro

i assume its smelly , and when connected its not spinning and bios doesnt identify it too ,the board is likely fried (that green board underneath it with the ide or sata/power connectors), the best thing you can do is to get an identical hd i mean completly not only model firmware too and date of manufacture as close as possible , check if its being sold in ebay and if so ask the sellers.. & check local stores

basicly after youll have the identical hd, you need to
1) replace the board , from the identical to the other (other means current,the one you wanna recover data from)
2) connect it and hope it went well , if it did then it will work just like it did before and youll regain access to all of that data :D , works in most cases

check out this sucess story http://www.deadharddrive.com/
and i hope you learned from this expirence , never go cheap on a psu
if it wont work or you couldnt find an identical then youll have to pay alot of $$$ for pro data recovery (if the data is very important that is)

edit search on this site you might get lucky
http://www.ultratec.co.uk/ , they sell hd PCBs among the rest , they deliver to usa too although through airmail

wow thanks so much for the help, you've provided more info in one post than i've been able to find in a weeks worth of searching the internet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom