hard drive conserns

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
Just recently I noticed that my computer took a little bit longer to boot into windows than before. The main system hard drive seems to make a loud whine (its not really a whine, sounds like a fan spinning at high rpms) for a little while before all the programs load with windows. When it stops everythign continues like normal. The sound only happens during that time when loading programs that start with windows.

I rand speedfan and the smart reading to see what it would come up with on my drives. The fitness is at about 70% and the peformace is at 100%. This does not seem to be a bad reading.

Is there something wrong with the drive? It began after transporting it from school to home, so it might have caused it. What can I do to fix it?

Thanks for the help.

Its for about 30 seconds when in windows before it loads programs that start when windows boots up. I havent ran scandisk in a while, but i have ran defrag in the past few weeks. I'll try those.

You could try taking off the side of your case and putting your hand on the disc, if it feels like its starting to rumble rather that vibrate then the ball barings used in the disc are on their last legs.

Not always. My SMART readings are 100/100 and 95/100 for both drives in SpeedFAN.

Maybe your HD is dying, i would backup your stuff.

My other two hard drives which are sata are about 75/100, and 80/100. I have seen worse reading on a friends computer. For his you knew it was going to fail, because of how unrelaiable it was in booting and reading off the drive.

My other two drives are not loud at all.

Should I replace it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom