Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

irnrstr

Solid State Member
I know same topic as others but just follow along.

I got a second hard drive and hooked it up. It didn't work so I got a buddie to look at it and in 2 min he had it running. I recently reinstalled windows and now have the same problem.

Windows xp home detects my hd under device manager. It says it is running normal. For some reason I cannot access it through explorer nor does it show up on my computer as an active drive.

Yes it has been formated.
Yes it has data on it
Yes the jumpers are connected

It has to be some stupid setting I am missing. Maybe I need to reasign a drive letter or ????? help if u can

ok, well the only thing i can think of right now is that the hard drive you have with the OS on it is formaed as a FAT32 Drive and the other Hard drive is an NTFS drive.

The only way to see the second hard drive is to format your current OS drive to NTFS because you can not see an NTFS drive if you have FAT, FAT16, or FAT32 as your main drive, it will only work if you have NTFS as your main and the FAT was your secondary.

But in your case to check to see what your drives are XP open My Computer and click your C: drive, and see what type of file system it is over in the left info bar.

If it is FAT32 you can do one of the following:

1: Format the main drive to NTFS and lose all your info

or

2: Format the second drive as FAT32, which i do not reccomend.

If it is the way i think it is, you are better off backing up your files from the first disk, and formating it as NTFS to match the second one.

hmm, do you have the two drives set up so that the primary one is master adn teh secondary one is slave?

Yes the primary one is master and the secondary one is the slave.

As for my friend: when I get my hands on him I will make him talk and post it.but it might take some time to reach him so please keep the ideas rolling.

thats what originally made me mad. I bought a maxtor hd and installed the stupid software and he did something in windows withought using the software at all and presto.... not only did it read the drive but I could access it also. So I took the usless software out and it was still working till I reformated windows, and probably reset some setting he changed. still waiting for him to call me back :(

initially, i bet the software installed the relevant driver but the HD wasn't in ntfs. then you're buddy reformatted it. it worked. when you reinstalled windows it may not recognize the same driver. try the software again, it should work fully.

good luck dude

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom