Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecjahn

Daemon Poster
Lately, I've started playing WoW. (Started 2 days ago)

During this time, I will be playing and my hard drive will start making a very faint, tick noise (somewhat fast) and within a minute or so the game will crash.

Now sometimes, the game will come back out of it's frozen visuals and looping audio, within about 20-30 seconds or so. This is what happens on an average of, say, 6/7 times. The remaining fraction, is the drive doing the same as mentioned, but the game not recovering.

Part 2 (Computer just crashed)

Aparently, it is not related to heavy HD action/use. When it just crashed on me now, I barely hit the reply button before total failure.

When the drive crashes completely, the read/write LED continues to glow. (When it is going to recover from a frozen state, it shows no activity)

Anyways, this seems to be looking like a Warranty-type situation (By the way, the drive is retail so I have plenty of it.)

OR, will this likely be something I can fix, maybe with a reformat? I don't have very much hope, since it actually makes a noise. Not much of one, but one nonetheless.

Well heres what i would do. Get a new hard drive, set up the bad one as a slave, and use some data recovery software to try and save your data.

Maybe someone here can recommend some, I really couldn't.

Get your data off it if you can.

Because if the drive is shot and you bring it back under warranty, they'll replace it but that doesn't do your data any good.

When you bring it back, demand they try and recover your data if you couldn't do it yourself.

I'm going to see if a new drive is in my budget. Maybe just an 80GB-120GB would do, so I could keep windows on it and then return the other and eventually use it as backup/storage.

Anyone else have reccamendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom