hard drive... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-08-2005, 07:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
Default hard drive...

Is it possible to put an old harddrive into a 'newer' computer and still have all the data intact that is on the Hard drive ? Thank you
__________________

coffee4me is offline  
Old 06-08-2005, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,013
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS
Default

Yes this is

But if their is an operating system on the hard drive, and you try to boot from the hard drive, it will mess up the windows installation on the hard drive.
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline  
Old 06-08-2005, 07:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 59
Default

yes. Just plug in the drive and get your BIOS to detect it...
If this old HDD was used for windows before, then a windows (or linux) computer shopuld be able to acess it.

But if it was a linux drive... windows don't stand a chance

This is how I transfered my files when I upgraded my PC... wasn't a problem
__________________
Quote:

Spammers should all be collected on an island and forced to try and sell stuff to each other. They should not coexist with the rest of the world, they are the lowest form of life!
Lintal is offline  
Old 06-08-2005, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Lintal
yes. Just plug in the drive and get your BIOS to detect it...
If this old HDD was used for windows before, then a windows (or linux) computer shopuld be able to acess it.

But if it was a linux drive... windows don't stand a chance

This is how I transfered my files when I upgraded my PC... wasn't a problem
Windows is on the 'old' hard drive...
Do you mean install the old hard drive as a second hard drive, next to the new one, to transfer the files???
coffee4me is offline  
Old 06-08-2005, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by coffee4me
Do you mean install the old hard drive as a second hard drive, next to the new one, to transfer the files???
Yes. Once winXP can bood on the new drive, just install the other one as the slave and get the BIOS to recognise it. Then you should be able to pull all the data off it in windows (the one saved on your new drive)
__________________
Quote:

Spammers should all be collected on an island and forced to try and sell stuff to each other. They should not coexist with the rest of the world, they are the lowest form of life!
Lintal is offline  
Old 06-08-2005, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Lintal
Yes. Once winXP can bood on the new drive, just install the other one as the slave and get the BIOS to recognise it. Then you should be able to pull all the data off it in windows (the one saved on your new drive)
I have Windows 98SE and Windows Me. Would this work for this process ?
Thank you.
coffee4me is offline  
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 59
Default

I shouldn't think there would be a problem... in "My Computer" and new storage device should appear, (though I'm not an expert on those OSes, It should work OK)
__________________
Quote:

Spammers should all be collected on an island and forced to try and sell stuff to each other. They should not coexist with the rest of the world, they are the lowest form of life!
Lintal is offline  
Old 06-09-2005, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 49
Default

Thank you! I appreciate your replies.
__________________

coffee4me is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.