A Hard Drive ???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

sPlAtOiD

Fully Optimized
I had a weird experience last week and want to ask a question about something that is messing with my head. Now I've been working on computers for a long time and feel that I know quite a lot about them. But every once in awhile something comes along that I just cant figure out and this is one of them. I built a computer about a year ago and used an 80 gig hard drive just for the operating system, then I put two 300 gig hard drives in just for storage. I thought it would be a good way to store files being how cheap they are now. Well I wanted to take out the two 300 gig hard drives and put them into an older computer so I could give the nicer one to my son for his birthday. Well the older wouldn't accept the large hard drives and showed them as unreadable. So I put them back into my newer computer the same configuration as before I took them out and they were unreadable. So i had to spend a week restoring all the files on them. My Question is this shouldn't I be able to pull the drives out of my computer and plug them back in or reinstall the OS if it gets damaged without having the storage hard drives go south on me.
Sorry for the long story but its been bugging me and I don't want to have to go through this again.
Thank You

i see why the older computer saw the hdd as unreadable because older motherboards have never seen 300gb hdd's. but it should work when you put the hdd's back into the new computer.

That's what i thought. I've done it before. But this was toooooo weird. Well at least i was able to get back about 97% of my stuff back. Well thanks for replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom