hard disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.
some one has given me sp1, is there an sp2 too.
i had problems with HI-SPEED USB, does xp without sp1 not support HI-SPEED USB ?

what is PQ?

yes, sp1 adds support for USB 2.0 and support for disks greater than 132GB with NTFS filing system. i think FAT32 is still limited to 32GB, this is by design on purpose. PQ=partition magic. too many people suggest using PQ even for basic partitioning tasks.

i would only use it for tasks that cannot be normally done because PQ can be very unstable and cause severe partition corruption with some operations. always backup data on disks that you perform resizing & merging partition operations in PQ.

does that mean for hard disks over 32 gigs FAT32 is no good.

i have installed Windows XP SP1, how do i see the rest of my hard drive now. I can still see only 128 gigs.

do i need to use some tool like Partition Magic?

first i need to make 2 corrections. i meant to say PM not PQ. and i should have said SP1 adds support to manage volumes over 132GB. it will still see a partition over 132GB, but you can't make one unless you have SP1.

using fdisk you can make a FAT32 partition over 32GB, winxp does not allow making anything over 32GB for FAT32. to use the rest of your space use partition magic to merge the free space with an existing partition or use disk management to create a new partition with the free space and format it.

here is how to access disk management:

http://www.evozero.gamma.timdorr.com/computer-guides/basic_disks.htm

Hi
Using Disk Management i can see the unused space it amounts to 21 gigs, giving me a total of 150 gigs for my 160 gig hard drive.

i tried to format it, but the only partition it would make is a primary partition, i wanted to make it a logical drive, but that option is greyed out.

what would happen if i make it a primary partition?

Then i think it's telling you to use logical.If you have a hd and nothing to lose than this is the time to learn fdisk...
Quote:i tried to format it.What do you mean tried ?
Use fdisk first then format each partition that will use 160 GBS.
It might not put it that way.It just rounds out 1024 in GBS #'s

By the way

Try this,It isn't someting to be so concerned with.but interested.
So 1 mb is 1024 kb.

Attachments

• voltage.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 65
what i meant was when i right clicked and followed the promts, i got to a point where it said primary partition, logical paritition and a third other option, the only option available was primary partition.

I have got data om my hard disk, i do not want to lose it.
hey ekaesine, i checked your site, it says
fdisk is for set up basic disks using Windows 95/ 98/ 98SE/ ME, can it be used for windows xp, do you recommend using it in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom