hard disk read/write head

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
I read some place that
"When a disk is in use, the head remains over the last track which was written or read. As long as the computer is on, any physical shock to the computer can make one or more of the read/write heads touch down on the track, causing data loss. "

"If you prefer to leave your computer on, use a headparking program to park the heads before your leave. This is even more important if your computer is located on the floor(which is not recommended!)."

my computer, both at work and home, is on the floor, is that really bad
often when my computer is on, i push it slightly to the left or the right, or just move it slightly when plugging or unplugging something.
has this messed up the hard disk in any way?

It shouldnt be any problem unless u drop the HDD or suddenly turn the power off while the HDD is running.

I read about this in the A+ book somewhere. this only applies to old hard disks where you had to manually park the head. for modern hard disk this is not something to worry about. they can take a good shock without being damaged unless maybe you hit it hard while it's reading or writing. so where did you read this?

most newer hard drives just automatically shut them selves off when the computer is being moved with it running. When they shut them sefls off your screen will turn blue and you will get an infinite loop error, i think is what it is.

I agree with ekÆsine on the hard drive question.

The primary reason to keep your PC OFF the floor is that when you place in on the floor, it has a tendenancy to collect dust rather fast - especially if you have carpet floors. Most PCs have a vent on the front where the dust can enter and start to accumulate inside. I keep mine a few inches off the floor.

i read it in a book "exploring and upgrading your pc", it is pretty old, talks in terms of 486's & P1s, but a lot of what they say still holds true.

hey now that we have gone for the LBA addressing scheme. we still got cylinders, heads and sectors, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom