hard disk not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
My hard disk is not being recognised. I tried it in two different machines. when the bios is being loaded, it stops for a few seconds at the ide connector at which it physically is.

it does not get recognised.

is there any way i can get it to go, i have tried it in master, slave and cable select mode.

Hard Drives are one of a very little amount of computer parts that are mechanical, and if it decides to go it is gone - claim on your warrranty if you can.

If its old just accept it.

Also hope you backed up your data.

do u hear any sound from ur hard disk, if yes then ur hard disk has reached the feet of god.

make sure the power connector is connected to the hard disk and try another connector, maybe it is bad. put your hand on the top of the hard disk, you should feel it vibrate as the motor spins the platters. it is so quiet you might not hear it.

is it clicking? - if yes, the drive is dead

do the IDE/power cables have any apparent damage?

do the mobo's support the size and type of drive?
for example, is it 80 pin, when the board only has 40 pin?
or is the drive too big fo the mobo?

what do you mean by clicking?

i was using this hard drive on the computer before, so the cable and the ide connector on the mobo is good to go.

when the ide drives are being detected, it stops when it reaches the point where the drive is being detected. (primary or secondary ide)

The hard drive is probably gone. If you have any data you have to have from it do the old freezer trick. Place it in a freezer, wrapped in a couple of layers of ziplock bags, for a couple of hours, defrost it and try to use it again. For some reason this sometimes works (or so I've heard), at least for a little while. Hopefully long enough for you to get whatever you need to get out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom