Hard disk fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blink

Solid State Member
I purchased a replacement hard drive for my Dell Latitude Cpx, because the 6G was just to small for what I needed. When I initially got the disk in I installed the drive, partitioned, and installed the OS.

I don't know why I did this because I needed information off of the original drive. So I reinstalled the old drive booted it up moved my information to a transfer medium. After reinstalling the new hard drive back in the computer now it isnt recongnized by the bios, I'm afriad I left the battery installed when I reinstalled the new HDD. Is there any way of telling if its fried or not? After not being able to get it to recongnize the new hard drive I reinstalled the old one, and it works fine. I'm taking from this that the new drive is fried.

I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. I don't guess I'm lucky that the drive has a fuse in it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Well the verdicts out and it seems that your correct MB its not fried. I swapped it back in agian and for some reason it worked this time. I guess it wasn't getting a good connection. I did try repeatedly before to get it to work, before I posted and I thank you both for reply to my question.

Hard drive reloaded

Ok I reinstalled the hard drive and it worked for a day or two now its acting like it did before. The bio's aren't recongnizing it. When I went to reboot the computer it came up IDE 0 not found. Any one have any idea whats going on?

The chances of your harddrive being fried are slim to none. I suggest that you try another ribbon cable (the cable that connects the harddrive to the motherboard). It appears to be this because the drive would work sometimes and other times not. Try that and see if the problem persists.

Its a laptop and the hard drive cage works without flaw with the other drive. Both are IBM Travelstars, and turn at 4200 rpm's. Why would it just stop working like that I thought maybe it was over-heating or something but after waiting a full day it still will not boot. It doesn't even spin up when I turn the comp on.

That is really odd...Harddrives usually don't just die like that. Once you have checked all the jumpers again, checked the cables, and rechecked the old harddrive, I would suggest looking into returning your harddrive for a replacement. I don't think that there is anything left to do. If the drive doesn't spin, but the other one does that is a very good indicator that it is died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom