Hacking off that second PCI slot piece of metal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YanBooth

Daemon Poster
So, is it possible to take off that second PCI slot piece of metal on video cards that take up two slots? I guess it can be cut off with a saw or something, but is there an alternative?

Has anyone every tried/done it?

Yan

The second PCI slot of metal on video cards? Which videocards are you talking about and why would you need to "hack" it off in the first place? "Hacking" off anything metal on anything electronic is just asking for problems... If you get the smallest shard of metal inside some of the smallest electronic components on a videocard, that thing will be shorting out before you know it.

"Leave the hacking to the hackers"

Well, I am putting WCing on a 6800 Ultra, and that takes up only one PCI slot, barely, and I want to pop something next to it...

Any suggestions?

Yan

you wanna saw off something that is currently attached to your video card?! Considering your post count, this has to be a prank.

probably nota prank. no offence but at the random times iv been here, Yan is one of those who iv seen post a lot, but never had anything usefull or relavant in his posts.

you could at least take a picture of your vid card so we know what your talking about, it may not look as insane as it sounds. but then again.....

hes talking about the graphics cards with two pci slot covers one with connections one just blank
he just wants to have only one pci slot taken up
maybe what you want to do is remove the pci covers from the gfx card and then use a scroll saw or a dremel to cut that off

There's a good reason why they make 6800ultras with the extra metal to insert into the adjacent PCI SLOT. Because they are basically saying, the size of the HS&FAN on the 6800 ultra is going to take up that space anyway, so useless...PCI slot.

Hacking it off won't really accomplish anything...

If you remember one of my earlier posts, I said I was putting water cooling on the video card, right? And that it would take up only one slot, right?

Thank you very much for your unbiased good help Aspire.Comptech

Yan

HAVOC2k5 said:
There's a good reason why they make 6800ultras with the extra metal to insert into the adjacent PCI SLOT. Because they are basically saying, the size of the HS&FAN on the 6800 ultra is going to take up that space anyway, so useless...PCI slot.

Hacking it off won't really accomplish anything...

Yeah, make sure there's enough space and you have proper cooling...then why not? Just don't slip with the saw:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom