Guitar to PC cable? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Question Guitar to PC cable?

I am looking for a cable that will plug my guitar into my PC. I just blew my amp I have. Idk where to look for this cable or what its called. Any help? thanks guys.

|Steam-Braz90|*
Old 03-16-2009, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Default Re: Guitar to PC cable?

You'll need a cable that has 1/4 mono guitar plug on one end and a mono 1/8 (3.5mm) on the other. I think it's called a Computer Guitar Cable, I could be wrong. The sound won't bet great, it's better to have software so you can listen to the guitar on your computer and to record. I've tried it with my Les Paul on my friends computer, it's pretty cool.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 03-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

can you get distortion and stuff like that from programs? Any links to anything?

|Steam-Braz90|*
Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Private Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7sanremo View Post
You'll need a cable that has 1/4 mono guitar plug on one end and a mono 1/8 (3.5mm) on the other. I think it's called a Computer Guitar Cable, I could be wrong. The sound won't bet great, it's better to have software so you can listen to the guitar on your computer and to record. I've tried it with my Les Paul on my friends computer, it's pretty cool.
I'ts just called exactly what it is: 1/4" mono male to 1/8" mono male cable .

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 03-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Do a search on using a Preamp with your guitar for a computer.

Here is one:
Line 6 - TonePort

Thats your best bet, I don't know a lot about them.

I found this site to be informational:
Creating Professional Guitar Sound on PC

Guitar Effects Processor Pro (GuitarFX) - Download

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 03-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by braz View Post
can you get distortion and stuff like that from programs? Any links to anything?
You can, but it will not be a great sound. Depends what your looking for really, but dont expect any amazing sounds. The line 6 amps are fairly good, but that doesnt mean that your computer will sound like one, even if you get that program. If you have any effects pedels you would be better off pluging them in first instead.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I do have this pedal already, can I plug my guitar into it, then that into my pc? SameDayMusic.com: Rocktron Metal Planet Distortion Pedal

|Steam-Braz90|*
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yeh i can't see why not. You dont even need another cable, just get a 1/4 to 1/8 male>male connector from an electronics shop. Then plug a cable from your guitar into the pedel and another one into the connector and into the 'line in' port in your PC.

That pedal should sound better than any pc program written to create a distorted tone. Generally, even these days, software does not compare to good sound hardware. I have an amp rig with a 20yr old Mesa pre-amp, and it sounds much better than modern 'software' modelling amps.

If you have any questions about other guitar stuff let me know mate.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via MSN to DawnOfDoom Send a message via Yahoo to DawnOfDoom

That line 6 Tone port is a load of horse dung. Get a M-Audio Fast Track pro, Supports 3prong mic cables, MIDI, 1/4 guitar jacks and RCA out ports. I use it to hook up my Shure SM57 to do mic recording on my guitar. I just mic up my amp and press record on audacity and then jam away. record it, cut out the beginnings a bit so its not a long pause and presto save it and you have a sound track, you can also layer your audio in audacity, like you record the lead and then later come back and do the rhythm, or vise versa.
Don't Tell any one but I know who Crunch is...

I Do accept support requests via PM, MSN, and e-mail

If I have been helpful to you in any way please click the scale under my name
Old 03-20-2009, 11:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to CrazeD Send a message via MSN to CrazeD

When I first got my guitar, I couldn't afford an amp, so I found this thing in a music store. It was a little USB thingy with two 1/4" jacks. One was for the guitar, the other for speakers (I had to use an 1/8" - 1/4" adapter for the speakers). Then I just plugged it into a USB port and used the software that came with it. The software was setup like an amp, with knobs and settings for distortion and such.

It was like $30 or something, but I can't remember the name. Might want to look for something similar.

EDIT: Oh, and it sounded like utter CRAP compared to my amp, but yeah, I was desperate.

Intel Q9400 | Gigabyte EP45-UD3P | G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2 1000 | XFX HD5870

Need website help? PM me!
Closed Thread