Not open for further replies.

DmOshEYE

Solid State Member
HI GUYS

I need help in formatting my old hard drive
I have a 160gb hard drive and I tried to format the 80 gb hard drive from
the use of the 160gb...
It says it can't do it because some program is using the 80gb
please close all programs or windows doing so...so I figure it won't let me do it because Im in the other(160gb) hard drive
So...after deleting most of the files it would allow me to delete out of the 80 gb hard drive...
I then went in manually to put the 80gb as my primary
I pressed F1 on boot up and went into the bios and changed the boot drive to CD-ROM and disabled the floppy...so that it would boot the CD ROM(Windows XP PRO)
But once I saved the settings....it just went Grub Hard Drive Error

and when I set the settings back to their original state...it still says that??
Also....both hard drives are currently running XP PRO..
A Virus was on the 80 gb so I ran Norton on it and deleted it because it wouldn't connect to the Internet...but it was attatched to a WINDOWS File and I wanted to wipe it clean
Why and What should I do to format this Hard drive and Install Windows Correctly? :sad:

could u tell us the makes and models of both ur harddrives? and have u made sure that the hard drive u wnat to boot off of has its jumpers set to primary and the other one has its jumpers set to slave?

Of course the Primary is the 160gb
and the 80gb(the one I want to format)is the slave
thats not the issue

The 160gb make is Samsung
The 80gb make is Western Digital
I just want to format it man...lol..Please...its not responding
Ive done this stuff before...and never come across such a problem
Ive even downloaded the trial of a Wipe something
But it says it can't complete the format because it(80gb) is being used by another program...what the hell is it saying
Im using it as I speak?

with windows boot into safemode. to get to the settings click start button> run. in run box type msconfig. click the boot.ini tab and check the box "safeboot". hit OK and it will ask for restart. format your drive and than get back to msconfig. click "normal startup" to restore your settings back to normal.

NVM close this
Thanx for your efforts... I figured it out(IT MAJOR)

and Moderator...that wasn't the answer to the solution
I appreciate the effort though
Another Site with (Tech Support Forum) has like 30thousand members) and didn't respond at all

Close this...
The problem was I was bootinng the Hard drive first (THATS WHY IT SAID GRUB HARD DRIVE ERROR...
IT WAS READING FROM THE HARD DRIVE INSTEAD OF THE WINDOWS XP PRO CD ROM......Duhhhhh....)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom