Grounding straps, do they really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyluli

Baseband Member
Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone knows if those cheap grounding straps you can buy really work? I'm talking about the wrist strap you wear and then you hook a clip to any part of metal on the case. Sure, I know you can simply make sure you are touching part of the case while you are working on it, but using a grounding strap would sure be easier.
What do you think? Anybody use these frequently?

Yes they do work...although even with one I'd find myself touching the case just out of habit...but it's a simply matter that it transfers any little bit of electrical current from you to that ground on the case before anything else, or generally that's the idea ;) I've heard of many people using them and have never had a problem, I myself have never gotten one, just because I don't frequent local computer shops and haven't seen one or cared to go out of my way to buy it...but they are cheap and really do work for the most part

You attach it to a completely metal part of your case...usually when you take off the side, there's a little lip that the side of the case slides onto, just put clip it on there...just make sure like killian said you aren't clipping to a painted piece, you want to put it on a solid metal part of your case.

does that mean the computer has to be plugged in
I don't understand why you might think the computer has to be plugged in..we're trying to prevent electricity buildup with the strap and your computer should NEVER be on if you're working on it. If you simply meant the main power cable, well just to be on the safe side I always turn the PSU off AND take out the power cable and give it a couple seconds for the power to completely drain.

Turn off your comp and clip it to somewhere metal, that's it :)

This reminds me, I heard that you are supposed to leave the power cord of the PC plugged in while working on the case. The reason (I was told) is because the power cord has the 3 prongs and one prong is for grounding, so that is supposed to ground your machine (or so I was told).
I'm guessing that isn't true.....
I know the third prong is definately a grounding prong, but errrr..what exactly is it to help prevent (If i may be so stupid as to ask)

This reminds me, I heard that you are supposed to leave the power cord of the PC plugged in while working on the case.
This is ONLY true if you have a grounded outlet, and an outlet with one of those circuit-breaker switches on it, with the breaker off! If there's power to the outlet, you're in for a surprise.

Even with a wrist-strap, you're still not 100% safe from static shock. Even in a static-free test chamber, you still observe anti-static protocols. Such simple things are just not worth skipping. Especially when the cost of failure is so high.

be careful not to forget to unclip the wrist band i was with my friend once working on his comp and he forgot to unclip his wrist band and the computer fell of the table onto a concrete floor:mad: so we busted the mobo the vid card and both hdd's. :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom