Greatest Technological Advancement...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off the top of my head, I'd say graphics processors. It is widely regarded that they exceed Moore's Law's expectations.

Without the offloading of increasingly demanding 3D graphics calculations, we would not have the incredible technology in our hands for developers to utilise in our favourite games, and we'd still be stuck in the era of - e.g - rendering environments using like 10 polygons, limited texture mapping, crummy screen resolutions.

Sure it is. Its given the somewhat nasty definition of "Making the CPU go faster than it was designed/intended to go," but its basically finding ways to increase the performance of your computer.
Overclocking is something you do....a technological advance would be an advance in the equipment itself.

TheHeadFL - I'd say your description of the networking was a good one...hadn't even thought of that...just thinking of the day back on 14.4 makes me cringe muchless if you wanted to have a household networked together.

DoomUK - yeah, definitely GPU's...the 6xxx series was said to have been the biggest leap in graphics processing in quite some time instead of the normal small increases from series to series.

Hey Macdude425, you Apple people think you invented everything. It's a pity you did, otherwise I'd have a good agument. As much as it hurts me, Thanks Apple for GUI.

Anyway, before you get too cocky, Apples to use Intel. Oh dear, It'll be windows next ;-)

It's funny though, I haven't read anyone saying Windows was the Greatest Achievement. He he

DoomUK said:
Off the top of my head, I'd say graphics processors. It is widely regarded that they exceed Moore's Law's expectations.

Not that you aren't correct, for all I know you are, but just remember that Moore's Law refers to the number of transistors, not neccesarily the performance.

How many transistors in the 6xxx series, vs the 5xxx series? What about the 7xxx series? It'd be interesting to see.

In regards to moores law -

<architecture> /morz law/ The observation, made in 1965 by
Intel co-founder Gordon Moore while preparing a speech,
that each new memory integrated circuit contained roughly
twice as much capacity as its predecessor, and each chip was
released within 18-24 months of the previous chip. If this
trend continued, he reasoned, computing power would rise
exponentially with time.

Moore's observation still holds in 1997 and is the basis for
many performance forecasts. In 24 years the number of
transistors on processor chips has increased by a factor of
almost 2400, from 2300 on the Intel 4004 in 1971 to 5.5
million on the Pentium Pro in 1995 (doubling roughly every
two years).
So it is infact the architecture...but with that he figured the power would 'exponentially rise' as well...but yeah it's not the performance that gets doubled.

Thanks Apple for GUI.
Thanks to bill gates for stealing it :D But it wasn't apple who came up with the GUI...I believe it was actually Xerox if I remember correctly, THEN apple made it but more friendly or something along those lines

Out of all the things you could choose and you choose the thing thats happening now??? I'm not even sure 64 is necessary for the average user. How much memory do you want for gods sake? I am not saying that it isn't a natural progression, just that it isn't that big a deal for the average Joe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom