Graphics or Case Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust me, I know your scenario, you're very excited to get that new card, but you won't even get to enjoy it's full glory. Get the main stuff out of the way. May take you a little longer to get that card, but hell, you'll notice a performance increase on that Gf4 Ti if you get some PC3200 RAM so either way you'll be gaining FPS. And then you will already have the new mobo in the case and can simply pop in the new card

I'm not sure if I'd follow that upgrade path Nubius. If I had to buy MB, RAM, and Graphics, I'd by PCI Express. At least the last two times they improved the expansion bus (ISA to PCI to AGP), you could still plug your old cards into the new MB. I don't think they make boards with AGP and PCI express.

Does your current system run your applications? That's always a consideration if you're thinking upgrade. Shiny new case or more HD may be all you need at the moment if you are getting a freebie. By the time you can afford the graphics card, you may not want it.

I believe my plans are to get the case for nothing. I can sell my mobo and ram to pay for new ones, and wait for summer to by the card. Im gonna wait 2 or 3 years for pci-e to take over cause then prices will come down on all the top notch graphics cards of today.

There are other things to do with your freebie like a 21" monitor, a nice surround sound system with PCI sound card and digital speaker system, or a dual layer DVD burner, etc.

IMO dont get the graphics card. Your system is bottlenecking, and by the time you build a new one the 6600GT will be 100$ instead.

Case is ok idea if you plan on building soon.

you wouldn't be able to recommend a good 478 mobo would you?
Nope I know jack squat about Intels :D

I'm not sure if I'd follow that upgrade path Nubius
What are you talking about? You saying he should get a 6600GT which is like putting a shiney new cadillac into a run down old barn... I know they don't make boards with AGP and PCI-E as that'd just be stupid since PCI-E is completely taking over.

If you want PCI-E you need to wait a good long while, save up so you can afford both the mobo and the graphics card at the same time, however AGP will still be good for 1-2 years.

Currently PCI-E doesn't even have a vast improvement over AGP, it will take a year before it's even fully utilized

I think for now a new case is the best way too go. Right now i have a miniatx case that was like $15. Im gonna need a better box to make upgrading easier down the road.

Actually they do have mobo's with AGP and PCI-E both. It also supports DDR and DDR2. It's a Gigabyte GA-81915P reviewd in Maximum PC, November 2004 issue pg. 80. They say the AGP slot is crap though as it is a bridge that has slower speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom