Graphics Cards: speed vs memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrytewkesbury

Baseband Member
I was trawling through the vast swathes of jungle that is the graphics card listings, and was wondering whether it was preferabke to get a new card with more memory, or a higher model. To put it in to context, would i be better off with a less expensive card with 128MB memory, or a card similarly priced with 256MB but higher speeds? Im a budget gamer, but am looking at a potential (ie future) system with 2.5GHZ CPU with i think 384MB RAM.

It seems that getting a 'faster' card is better than a slower one with more memory. The ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB for example benchmarks higher than the 9800 Pro 256MB.

thats fair enough, but with certain games (ie HL2) which are increasingly moving away from any texture re-usage, would it not become necessary to have larger amounts of memory just to deal with all those textures?

There is no jungle.

There is one card.

It is the geforce 6800GT.

All hail the geforce 6800GT.

So sayeth the GT.

ALL HAIL THE GeForce 6800GT! :) I've never actually played with one of these cards. How much more awesome is it than a 9800 Pro or X800 Pro experience?

harrytewkesbury said:
screw the performance! Those things cost more than the budget of certain African republics!!!

If you have the money, its more than worth it. Imagine Doom 3 running as silky smooth as Quake 3 does on a GeForce FX card, plus being able to turn the AA and AF all the way up. I have to say, from what i've heard, a 6800GT is definately worth getting.

guy in the newegg review says his runs quake 2 at 2200 fps, now thats silky smooth :) now imagine in 4 years graphics cards will be running doom 3 at 1000+ fps...

lol. i remember my absolute amazement when i transferred my copy of Unreal Tournament from a 500MHZ laptop to a new (then) 1GHZ desktop... i was in shock! if i can recreate that feeling when i upgrade next, i will feel i have made a good investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom