graphics card rec AND: graphics cards in china

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericcjensen

Solid State Member
Hi,

This is my first post to this forum.

Could anyone recommend a good video card for under or around $150? I'm not a hard-core gamer by any means, but I would like to play recent games like Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault, and other new, related FPS and adventure games (not into role playing or strategy though, like WarCraft and such).

I built my computer 1 year ago, it's pretty basic: Pentium III 1.6 Ghz, 256 MB memory, a Biostar motherboard with both AGP and PCI (I think) ports. Like I said, I don't need a hardcore accelerator, just something that would let me play games at a decent clip--my onboard graphics card just isn't cutting it. :)

Is there a big diff between Radeon and Geforce? These seem to be the two big brands out there now. Is either one better than the other?

Second question: This one may make me look like an idiot newbie. I'm in China right now, but before I return home to the USA I'm pondering whether it would be a good idea to buy my graphics card here in China.

What do you think? The prices seem to be a bit lower than in America, and they sell Radeon graphics cards (or so they say they are). On the other hand, if the card doesn't work on my system, I obviously can't fly back and exchange the item at the store.

Has anyone had experience buying hardware from or in China? Are there are good Chinese video card brands that you would recommend?

Thanks for your help,

Eric

I doubt that your mobo is 8x... possibly, but I'd have to have the model number. So I'd go for an older card, unless you can get a great deal (you can always build a better system, or upgrade the one you have if it is 8x AGP...).

Radeon vs GeForce... it all boils down to personal preference. The newest cards are so close it doesn't really matter.

Bottom line: If you can get a great deal on a reputable company's card, I'd do it.

Seems like the rest of the system is a little slow for future games.

I wouldn't recommend buying a card in China unless you can make sure it works in your comp or works at all.

I wouldn't buy the card in China. Not because its China, but because its FAR away. Cards from any country always have a chance to not work, at least if you buy it in the US you can return it.

You have a 1.6ghz pentium III? I'm pretty sure they only went to 1.13 ghz. Did you overclock? You could be right though...

I also agree that the system might be kind of slow for future games. I would definitely look into upgrade your ram. In order of upgrade importance as far as video game performance is considered I would put it like this:

1. Video Card - 6600GT would be a nice buy.
2. Ram - See how much more you can add to your mobo. At least 512 total is recomended.
3. Processor

The video card should hold you over for a while.
After that, refer to the list.

If i were you, and i wanted to play newer games, i would do a complete rebuild.

As for buying a card in China, i wouldnt has im not even sure if China uses the same voltages as America, so there might be incompatibilities. Its also reasonable to assume u would get better quality in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom