is this a good thing? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default is this a good thing?

I am looking to upgrade my computer to handle some desktop publishing programs, but I am an idiot when it comes to hardware! I have someone who is telling me that they will add/change the following in my computer to make it "killer":

- ECS K7S5A Mobo
- AMD 2400XP CPU
- 512 MG Infineon DDR 2700 (suggests getting 2, do I really need 2?)
- Seagate Barracuda 120 GB HDwith 8 MG buffer

He's said he can do all this for about $500 after his fees....

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I need something that can handle Windows XP plus Illustrator and In-design without lagging...

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2003, 09:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

P4 3.0GHZ or Athlon 3200+
512 MB 3200 RAM (CAS 2 or lower)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/XT

There's your killer system!

Old 12-09-2003, 09:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Whoa!
Please don't bother with the ECS K7S5A. I have had problems with this board myself and have had many clients have the same or other problems. I know that other people on this forum have had issues as well. You may not have any problems....but if I were you, I would save yourself from the potential grief. In fact, I've had so many problems with that company that I vowed never to buy that brand again.
The processor is great and the RAM should be good enough but if you have the $ then throw another 512MBytes in there....what the hell.
The 120GB hard drive should be more than enough to house your projects too. Some people may disagree but I feel that Seagate is a trusted brand.

-Michael
Old 12-09-2003, 09:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

mikesgroovin...what kind of problems have you had with the ECS, more importantly, what would you recommend instead?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well, with mine....no power to board. Took me a while to figure it out but I finally ran a meter to the board and found that the power supply connector was bad.
As for other clients:
DIMM 1 was fried upon arrival (source could've been some other integral portion of the board) But I had a ECS rep tell me that it was a known issue!!!
Another was a bad chipset...
These were all with the K7S5A.

I trust Shuttle and ASUS....good solid brands from companies that have been around for many many many moons.

-Michael
Old 12-09-2003, 09:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks,Michael!

ok, i definitely don't want something that doesn't work!! Thanks for the input on the mobo, I'll just have to "accidentally" pick up an Asus or Shuttle when I grab the parts to bring to him. And I will pick up another 512 MG RAM, did a little browsing through the past questions and a few people stated the same thing that you did. Definitely still cheaper than picking up a new computer!
Old 12-10-2003, 04:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

$500 sounds way high for only those components you mentioned. you do not need more than 512MB for desktop publishing, i mean what are we talking about here?.. indesign, pagemaker, MS office, MS publisher? these apps do not require a great deal of memory.

you could get away with 256MB, i have tried this with photoshop on huge 128MB monster files and i notice little if any increase in performance over 512MB both times using corsair XMS memory.

bryguy2323 he does not need an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro/XT for desktop publishing, that is overkill, way overkill. good 2D performance can be found on cheap $30-50 cards, and thats all he needs is 2D. if you are a casual gamer go for something in between.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yea, $500 seems a bit steep, but then again, I have no clue what this person is charging for the setup fees, etc.

-Michael
Old 12-10-2003, 04:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

hmmm

DUMP the ECS board they suck!,,, Asus or ABIT,, both pretty stable,,

and on the price,, well i would have to say that is a good ballpark figure,,

where i am from a 120gb hdd will go for about 200 bucks,, the board 150,, the ram 109 each!(x2)

so to me that sounds a bit of a deal,, and that is before the ATI card is added in,,

you guys are lucky!

cheers,

\"You\'re the Disease, and I\'m the Cure!\"
Old 12-10-2003, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

I bought a ECS Mobo once and had nothing but problems with it. Would not recommend them. ASUS all the way Dude!!!

ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Closed Thread