Good Deal? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 10:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to A_Zip1
Default Good Deal?

yeah i just recently fried up my CPU and meybe motherboard.... dont ask. lol, but yeah im just looking around for sumthen cheap for now, i was looking at this "Chaintech 7KJD Socket A Motherboard with Duron 1.4 GHz Processor" its like the mobo that comes with the processor, but yeah thier selling it for only 100 bucks [canadian], the comp that im putting this in is only used for MS werd, internet, msn... etc. no hardcore gaming er anything. but yeah i was just wondering if its worth it, or is thier sumthen better out thier in the same price range?

Old 02-04-2004, 03:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

i have built this same combo for my sister. it was the KSOM 1400+ combo. it had mediocre performance, i would asume all durons have poor performance. i could not get my non-3D games to work.

DVD video played a bit laggy also. with that budget i would get a combo with at least an athlon or a lower end XP processor. look around there are amazing deals with these combos.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to A_Zip1

ok so i was looking around a bit more, this combo deal looks like it would be a bit better and its like ten bucks more, its "Mercury KT266A Socket A USB 2.0 Motherboard with Duron 1.6 GHz Processor" its like 111.00 [Canadian] so all i would have to do is buy the heat since for this and i should be good so all togetha like 120ish, so u think this is a better deal?... or could u point me to a better deal in the same price range on a canadian site?...
Old 02-04-2004, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

A_Zip1 maybe you missed my point or didn't care, but what i was trying to say is durons and celerons should be avoided like the plague. maybe as a notebook procesor it is a different story.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

http://www.bzboyz.com/store/product4438.html

Check it out man. An XP 2400+ with MB and HS/Fan for $90 USD. Don't know about shipping to Canada, eh. Check out the MB combos on pricewatch.com
ATI AIW 9700 Pro
120 GB Maxtor SATA
Lite-On 411S DVD+-R/RW
Logitech Elite Duo wireless KB/Mouse
Closed Thread