Good computer for BF2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pctech86

In Runtime
Hey everybody, I need some input on the computer I will be building in the next few weeks. My goal: Play Battlefield 2 on the highest settings. Here's a list of what I'm getting:

Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9 Socket 939 Nforce 4 AMD mobo
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester Socket 939
eVGA 6800GT PCI-E
Corsair XMS 1 GB (2x512) 184-pin Dual Channel DDR
Western Digital Raptor 74 GB, 10,000 RPM
Antec True 430 W PSU
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Gamer

Now I know there might be some better things I can get (Like an AMD Athlon 64 4000+) but unlike most people i DO have a budget and this just fits in it. Now I want to play battlefield 2 on highest settings, will it work?? :D

I would get the Leadtek 6800GT, it has a way better cooler. Look at my rig for an idea of what will play BF2 well.

switch the mobo to the DFI Lanparty nForce 4 Ultra-D, get a Venice core for the CPU, not a winchester. Dont get Corsair XMS. If u want to overclock, go with OCZ Platinum Rev 2s. if u dont want to OC, go with twinMOS. Get a OCZ PowerStream PSU 520watt PSU. U dont really need that expensive hard drive, and a 74 gigs is nothing. Get a large seagate drive, say 200 gigs or so

No go eVGA all the way.

They rule the 6 series right now.

Ok, one thing to keep in mind: are you planning to overclock at all? If so I dont think gigbyte is worth it, most will say DFI because they win so many awards on overclocking. However only go that path if you want a stable overclocker.

Corsair XMS, again with the overclocking, it has a slower CAS Latency that alot of stuff in the same price range. However that doesnt present a problem if you are NOT planning on doing any overclocking. As a matter of fact, if you dont want to overclock go for a valueRAM type of memory.

BF2 has problems running on nVIDIA based machines due to the fact that the 77.30 drivers suck 100%. That's because they are still in the Beta part I guess.

no i don't plan on doing any oCing but i read some reviews for the DFI lanparty and i saw that it was just a big headache unless you wanted to do some SERIOUS OCing. I figured I didn't need to get all the expensive stuff because I'm keeping it stock. But i DO want highest graphics settings!

GameGURU said:
No go eVGA all the way.
eVGA sucks. Get the Leadtek, it's so much nicer than any of the other 6800GTs and it has a behemoth all copper heatsink that covers the GPU, memory and entire backside. Even if you don't OC, it means cooler temps, which in turn makes the card last longer. I don't personally have anything against eVGA, but it annoys me to no end when I see everybody here telling people to get it just because they are all fanboys of eVGA. It offers no benifits over ANY of the cards. If eVGA really did release a product that was really better the others, then I would recommend to get it, but they don't, and until they do, Leadtek all the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom