Good case? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2004, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJDarknez Send a message via Yahoo to DJDarknez
Default Good case?

I resent that virgin remark!

I'm looking to upgrade my case. Big time.

Currently I'm running a 2.6 ghz AMD Athlon XP with 512 RAM and a 80 GB drive that has already seen well over 5 terabytes of use.

I'm mostly looking for a case that I can hook up quite a few HD's too. The one that I have now was designed a little of the hard drive get in the way of 1 of the 2 hard drive bays.

So, I saw this one on New Egg:

By the looks of it, the mobo goes on one side, and the drives (HD and optical) go on the other? Is this correct, or are my eyes being stupid again?

Granted, the 11 external 5.5's is a bit much, but I think I can get some sort of adapter to convert those to HD racks, correct?

Old 12-17-2004, 07:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

damn, that's one helluva case. It does look like what you said, HD's and opticals on the right and motherboard and everything else in the other left cabinet. Pretty cool. Notice the only review says you'd need extensions but I woulda assumed that anyway being that you'd have to get some lengthy cables to reach any HD's in the top of the other side.

You could probably get something to convert em to HD Racks but I'm not 100% sure on that. But generally they have everything you could possibly need these days so it wouldn't surprise me to see it out there.

I think though, that the HD's speed will be decreased a little with longer IDE cables. How much of a decrease I'm not exactly sure

Old 12-17-2004, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Techie
Send a message via AIM to DJDarknez Send a message via Yahoo to DJDarknez

I'm thinking about just piecing together a new system, this time doing it right.

I'm thinking of getting an Asus 64 bit, with a 3ghz chip, all SATA stuff, the works.

You mentioned that the length of the IDE cables might become a factor for speed. Would that affect S/ATA?

I read that whole AMD vs. Intel thing. I found it interesting, especially the games vs. apps.

I use alot of graphics programs, i.e. Photoshop, ImageReady, AutoCAD, 3D Studio, blah blah blah...

For stuff like that, I'm thinking AMD, since it's more graphics based. Thoughts?
Closed Thread