Going to buy ram ...need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hi all, according to CPU-Z I have a 512mb ddr sd pc2700 stick of ram from Hyundai Electronics... Well I'm about to go to Best Buy to buy another stick of 512mb ram and would like to know which one I need to buy. Here are some dumb questions:

1.) Do I need to get another pc2700 or can I get a pc3200 AND use them both at the same time.

2.) Does it matter what company its from because I have no idea where I can find products from 'Hyundai Electronics'.

3.) Like I said I have a DDR-SD so I can only get another DDR-SD right like I cant go out and get a DDR that will be compatible with my other DDR-SD ram.

Replys would be greatly appreciated.

A couple of things.

1.) "Hyundai" makes RAM? Enough said.
2.) What Motherboard do you have? If you have the MOBO manual it should tell you what RAM it supports natively. You're running 333MHz with PC2700 right now. But, your MOBO might support up to 400MHz which is PC3200. If it doesn't support 400MHz then you can still buy the PC3200, it will only operate at 333Mhz not 400Mhz. If your MOBO does support 400Mhz and you run your PC2700 at 333Mhz with the PC3200 at 400Mhz, they will both only operate at the lowest 333Mhz in a dual channel mode. Assuming you are going to run them both.

Buying the PC3200 is probably your best option at this point even if your MOBO won't run at 400Mhz. You could at least use this in the future if you ever build or upgrade ths PC.

Athlon XP 3200+ uses a 400MHz FSB so you have a bit of a bottleneck going on.

You can buy any 184 pin DDR-SD RAM and pop it in, but regardless of how fast it is the memory will only operate at speeds equal to the slowest operating stick. In laymens terms, if you buy PC3200 (which you should since it's the proper speed you need anyways), it'll only operate at 166MHz on par with your PC2700 so it's sort of a waste.

Also, do not buy RAM from Best Buy, and scrap whatever RAM you have now. Sounds like nothing more than generic crap and I'm certain it'll register errors in memtest before long. Go to newegg.com and buy yourself some nice value DDR400.

lol Japan makes quite alot of good electronics, you shouldn't have a problem mixing the brands, check out Newegg, Bestbuy will end up costing more

So can I get the corsair 512mb ram and also use my ghetto hyundai ram at the same time (for 1gb performance)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom