Gigabyte 6600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
you can't expect more than 2-5C drop though and 5C is like.....not real common.

I can't believe that thing hits 105C that's just scary.

That thermaltake Giant should definitely solve those problems though.

Good luck man

By way of an update... i stumbled across some info on the net last night that has improved my problem somewhat... I read that if you are installing an after market heatsink/heatpipe solution... you have to put thermal grease everywhere that metal touches metal... eg between heatsink and heatpipe... now when I just took the front bit of heatsink off... before i removed the heatpipe i noticed there was no grease there, but at the time thought nothing of it... since then I have noticed that the rear heatsink always seems hotter than the front one...

Today I took the front heatsink off and applied a small layer of thermal grease to the indent in the heatsink where the pipe touches... I also added a tiny layer to the heatpipe.... My idle temp is now down to 61ºc (which is still high) but it doesnt reach the hundreds any more while gaming and is much more stable... and that is without letting the paste settle...

I wish I hadnt moved the heatpipe in the first place but had only removed the front heatsink and added the grease as I would probably have better performance heatwise... but it seems a bit dumb that gigabyte hadnt added any thermal compound here... when all the manufacturers of cooling solutions tell you to do this in their instructions...

I am still considering buying that beastly Thermaltake Extreme Giant III

http://www.thermaltake.com/coolers/chipset/a1919.htm

I think I may buy it here (only place I have found it in the UK so far)
http://www.planetmicro.co.uk/produc...9&source=kelkoo

coz its under £25 and i bet it'll cool me a treat :)

but will see how this new greasing pans out... though it looks promising so far!!!!

i refuse to shop at overclockers... it is wayyy overpriced and people only go there because of the name... but cheers for pointing out those fans... i'll look for them on other suppliers!

Crazy that you have to put that grease there. You'd figure it'd be designed to dissipate the heat all on it's own. Seems kind of lame that you'd have to do that, and furthermore it seems as if it's not really common knowledge which just means more people will experience the troubles you've had

well the rear heatsink is attached to the pipe.... so no prob there... but the front heatsink clips on over the heatpipe... so its just metal on metal... which means it is suseptable to the same problems of a heatsink on a gpu/cpu... you can get an air gap which reduces heat conduction.

I only found out coz i was being curious about what i would have to do installation wise if i bought that aftermarket solution.. and it was in the instructions... it just seems mad that gigabyte themselves didnt put grease there.

I have since read this rule for cooling...

"When installing a cooling system (heatsink/fan/heatpipes etc) where ever there is metal on metal contact between seperate parts of the cooling system, a small layer of thermal compound/grease should be applied."

I think i will abide by it from now on as it seems to work!

hygor said:
i refuse to shop at overclockers... it is wayyy overpriced and people only go there because of the name... but cheers for pointing out those fans... i'll look for them on other suppliers!

That Thermaltake blower looks the part, let us know if it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom