gigabit lan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dethangel

Daemon Poster
im thinking of setting up a gigabit lan at my house, my new mobo has built in gigabit lan, and im buying a 5 port gigabit switch, how much would a regular gigabit nic for my other computer cost?

and i can run cat5e right? or should i get cat6 or 7?

also im wanting to build a pc to use as a server, what kind of specs should it have?

any1 know where to find an atx dual xeon mobo?

do the xeon mobos need the same "extra" power connector as the p4s?

according to my network book the maximums are:

cat5- 100 Mbps
cat5e - 200 Mbps
cat6- 600 Mbps
cat7- 1 Ghz

according to the book the only kind you can use for gigabit networks to acheive 1gigabit throughput is CAT7 . i have seen cat5e cables rated to 600 megabits before. but either way im sure cat5e is not enough for you. im not sure whether it would just slow down your network if you used cat5e or just cause massive data transfer errors and corruption.

you have to really ask yourself if you actually need a server. i mean is it just something nice to have or do you actually need it over a cheaper 10/100Mbps network? if you use the server mostly for you LAN tranferring large files all the time than that makes sense, but if you are going to run a web server over DSL or cable modem than the speed is wasted.

as for me i'll wait until the prices come down on the hardware, it does sound nice though

for me the server is going to be for transferring large files over a network, so the gigabit would be very nice, and since im moving back to wichita(finally!!!!) i can get COX cable, who doenst cap the bandwidth, and i did a bandwidth throttle on my aunt computer, who has cox cable, and she was running at 1047Mbps and my uncle mike, who has COX cable was running at 2713Mbps!! that nucking futz!

???

dude, there seems to be something wrong with your numbers. according to google:

2,700 (megabits per second) = 337.5 megabytes per second

you are telling me your uncle gets 2.64 GIGABITS per second on his cable connection????? that is impossible, cable's maximum speed is 36Mbps downstream. that would mean your uncle surpasses SONET level OC48, fiber optical! what are you using to measure the speed?

Re: ???

ekÆsine said:
dude, there seems to be something wrong with your numbers. according to google:

2,700 (megabits per second) = 337.5 megabytes per second

you are telling me your uncle gets 2.64 GIGABITS per second on his cable connection????? that is impossible, cable's maximum speed is 36Mbps downstream. that would mean your uncle surpasses SONET level OC48, fiber optical! what are you using to measure the speed?

sorry it was 2700Kbps, not Mbps, i got a little excited, no if it was 2700Mbps, id be living there, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom