Ghz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dre

Beta member
My pc has 2.4 Ghz but still runs kinda slow when loading things.
anyone know why this is?

Yea, what he said. It could be a lot of things. If you can please list all of your computer specs.

And in case your not a programmer, an exclamtion point "!" means "not" just in case you were confused.

!= means "doesnt equal"

you could also have many subprograms running inside windows. How big is the icon toolbar next to the clock in the lower right corne? The more icons and stuff you have in there, the more programs are in memory ( or using memory to do things you don't know of). If you have virus software it slows down your computer a lot. My girlfriend had about 20 items in there and I cleared all but four and there was a huge improvement. Also look into the start meno under the startup and see if programs are automatically starting up. Also try ad-ware and spybot. Those will get rid of some things that might slow down the computer.. and it's just a good habit to do. One more things. I had a 2.4GHz laptop and that sling was garbage compared to my 2GHz athlon 64, so don't go by clock speeds..

i didnt know that != means what it does thanks :D. all my specs i think are 2.4Ghz, 256Ram, 80 GB hard drive those what u wanted to know?

i have like 40 odd things being processed if i press Ctrl+Alt+Delete and go proccess's but i dont know what half of them do. i only have 6 things in lower right corner including norton anit-virus maybe that slows my pc down a lil.

it could also need defragmenting
just a short while ago my PC was going slow as krap (i mean slower than 500MHZ usually goes) so I defragged and now its a lot faster

if you're running Windows 2000 or above, press control+alt+delete, and it will show you what programs are taking up all your CPU time

if you may have spyware/adware on your PC it can slow things down, if you can, try and download a program called Ad-Aware 6 which will remove any spyware

also, have you done a virus scan recently? some viruses can slow down your PC
Antivir is a free antivirus program which I found faster and more effective than Norton, picked up a lot of viruses that Norton had missed

o might do that. i virus scanned not too long ago.

i was told that i should clear my prefetch folder like once a month. but i dont know if it is important or not should i clear it or just leave it as it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom