Ghosting a hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Sniper*

Fully Optimized
ok if this is the wrong term plz correct me. ok my great uncle is having me build him a computer for one and i dont know what to build out of a p4 i use AMDthats one but the ghosting if im right. He would like me to transfer from the old hdd to the new one his file. He does not want me to make a cd of it he just want me to transfer the file from hdd to hdd.

What I usally do is one of the following:

If the hard drive is not already in the machine, I set it up as primary slave in the same machine as the other hard disk. Make sure to check in the BIOS that Primary Slave is not set to "None" and is set to "Auto". When you boot the machine up, open "My Computer" and you will see an extra drive. Just drag and drop what you need.

If it is already loaded in the machine, get a cross-over cable, put one end in the network card of one machine and the other end in the other network card of the other machine. Give the cards IP addresses like 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3, set the default gateway as 192.168.1.1 and you should be able to see both machines in network neightbouthood. Just setup a share on the new machine and copy the files over.

Cody said:
What I usally do is one of the following:

If the hard drive is not already in the machine, I set it up as primary slave in the same machine as the other hard disk. Make sure to check in the BIOS that Primary Slave is not set to "None" and is set to "Auto". When you boot the machine up, open "My Computer" and you will see an extra drive. Just drag and drop what you need.

Ok let me see if i got you ok, i know the old computer is set-up i know i havent build the new one yet. So i just get the hdd and put it in and drag and drop the file's. But what happens when i do build the computer with the new hdd wont it lose the files.

Yeah, the first way is usally if I'm just backing up or I have a hard disk that already has an OS on it. Do it the second way. Or if you want install the OS on the hard drive and then swap it in.

ok ill try both ways when i build the computer. But i have one question. WHich socket for a p4 is better 478 or 755. My uncle what a p4 but i could build him a AMD better.

I'm an AMD guy myself, but the 755 is the newest socket I believe (for the 3 gig + I think)

ok good i know im AMD im going to try and see if i can change his mind. ALl he want is it to be fast.

Fast? Go with AMD then :p Personally, I find the Intels to slowly degrade after a few months. I work with them here at work, I've had this 1.7 for 4 months and it's already slowing down. I've had my AMD 2800+ for 7 months and I see no difference than when I bought it.

And This is hilarious

Click

"Best CPU Manufacturer: AMD"

"Sponsered by Intel"

LOL true i know AMD is very good i like mine alot im going to try and change his mind because i hate intel and they heat up so much and i dont what him to have to upgrade for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom