Ghost In The Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius: thanks for the post. we have replaced the bios battery still with no joy.

I dont think there is much point trying to pull cards out while the machine is powered up, as we have replaced anything it could possibly be with exactly the same results as with the old hardware.

Any other ideas?

its probaly the video card, it happened to me last night.
i touched the video card while the computer was still on (yes i know im stupid). then after i touched the video card the whole computer shuted down. apparrently i friend the video card. when i tried to turn on the computer agian the monitor says its not reciving input, so i putted in another video card and it worked again.

You have replaced everything but the kitchen sink with this thing but have you stopped to even check the monitor itself? Hook a different monitor to it and see what happens.

I dont think there is much point trying to pull cards out while the machine is powered up,
whoa, I never said WHILE the computer is powered up. You remove the motherboard and have it laying out like I said, this tells you if the mobo is shorting in the case. You remove the other components I said while the machine is OFF, lol NEVER touch the machine while it's on. After its removed THEN you turn it on and see if it beeps.

If all your other components are fine then the CPU and/or motherboard is the cause

Nubius is probably correct. I recently built a new computer and I could not get any video to show up. I thought it was a dead mobo, but I took apart the entire computer including CPU (just in case). and rebuilt the machine on top of a card box. sure enough the computer worked fine. I put it back in it's case and it still runs ok. I will never know whether it was the CPU or the video card was not seated in, or if the mobo was shorting to the case.

DanDan try it, but uplug the power cord before you touch anything and ground yourself. put it on anything non-conductive

Nubius: ah ha! it all makes sense to me now! I did think it was a tad suicidal!

We will definatly be giving that a go next time I go round to my friends in a day or so. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again dude

Oh and to whoever said try replacing the monitor, good advice and nice lateral thinking but i forgot to mention the monitor works fine as we have tested it off a different machine.

Nubius: ah ha! it all makes sense to me now! I did think it was a tad suicidal!
lol don't think I'd be a mod for too long telling people to start messing around with components while the machine was on :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom