Ghost In The Machine - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 06:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nubius: thanks for the post. we have replaced the bios battery still with no joy.

I dont think there is much point trying to pull cards out while the machine is powered up, as we have replaced anything it could possibly be with exactly the same results as with the old hardware.

Any other ideas?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Sui
Ultra Techie

mmmmmm no beep codes?

Old 03-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #13 (permalink)
Field Engineer

Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

change the case. Did you install the pegs under the mobo?

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

its probaly the video card, it happened to me last night.
i touched the video card while the computer was still on (yes i know im stupid). then after i touched the video card the whole computer shuted down. apparrently i friend the video card. when i tried to turn on the computer agian the monitor says its not reciving input, so i putted in another video card and it worked again.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie

You have replaced everything but the kitchen sink with this thing but have you stopped to even check the monitor itself? Hook a different monitor to it and see what happens.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:05 PM   #16 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
I dont think there is much point trying to pull cards out while the machine is powered up,
whoa, I never said WHILE the computer is powered up. You remove the motherboard and have it laying out like I said, this tells you if the mobo is shorting in the case. You remove the other components I said while the machine is OFF, lol NEVER touch the machine while it's on. After its removed THEN you turn it on and see if it beeps.

If all your other components are fine then the CPU and/or motherboard is the cause
Old 03-21-2005, 09:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Nubius is probably correct. I recently built a new computer and I could not get any video to show up. I thought it was a dead mobo, but I took apart the entire computer including CPU (just in case). and rebuilt the machine on top of a card box. sure enough the computer worked fine. I put it back in it's case and it still runs ok. I will never know whether it was the CPU or the video card was not seated in, or if the mobo was shorting to the case.

DanDan try it, but uplug the power cord before you touch anything and ground yourself. put it on anything non-conductive
Old 03-22-2005, 05:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nubius: ah ha! it all makes sense to me now! I did think it was a tad suicidal!

We will definatly be giving that a go next time I go round to my friends in a day or so. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again dude

Oh and to whoever said try replacing the monitor, good advice and nice lateral thinking but i forgot to mention the monitor works fine as we have tested it off a different machine.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #19 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Nubius: ah ha! it all makes sense to me now! I did think it was a tad suicidal!
lol don't think I'd be a mod for too long telling people to start messing around with components while the machine was on

Closed Thread